Chapter 9

It didn't take me long to find Kai. The layout of the house was simple enough. While I was walking around looking for him, something kept bothering me about Kai's calmness. Even reflecting back, his words of warning were ominous. I gently knocked before entering his office. My thanks had turned to accusations and questions by the time I was standing in front of his desk.

"You knew, didn't you?" I asked when I saw Kai sitting at his desk in his office. He looked confused. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"You knew about Alpha Phillips attack on my pack," I clarified. He only nodded as he continued to look at his papers and computer. It was infuriating watching him sit there so calmly when he could have stopped something so terrible and tragic. It was like he didn't care at all that my life and my pack was nearly destroyed.

"Why didn't you do something? If you knew, why didn't you stop it?!" I yelled at him as I walked closer. Kai, however, was still calm. It's like he was okay with my pack's demise.

"You didn't want me to," he said calmly. He glared at me before he sighed and took off his reading glasses that were perched on the middle of his nose.

"I knew something was going to happen when Alpha Phillips expressed his... deep concern and hatred for the decision your father made to let a woman take over as Alpha. I could have warned you, but you wanted me gone as soon as possible. You had everything figured out for yourself. I told you, you were ignorant to what's going on around you. I also promised that I wouldn't interfere with your life," Kai explained. I felt my body begin to shake on anger and frustration.

"I could have died! My family could have died!" I yelled at him, coming closer. "Jessie was killed," I said softer, my voice cracking slightly. Always patient and calm, Kai finally stood from his desk.

"I had faith that the girl who could reject her fated mate and not feel a thing, could survive a petty attack. And if you couldn't, I had a few of my warriors watching over you and your immediate family," Kai explained.

Don't tell me... those unknown wolves who helped were sent by Kai?

We stared each other down for a moment before he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Why are you here?" Kai asked.

"My father sent us to you for the protection, and I didn't really have a choice," I said annoyed that it was even a question. He obviously agreed to it, so he should've known. Kai shook his head as he came from behind his desk to stand in front of me.

"No, Kennedy. Why are you here... in my office?" he clarified. I didn't miss the way my name slid off his tongue so easily and naturally. I even forgot to correct him on not calling me Stella. I shrugged, embarrassed as my cheeks heated. Damn my pale skin.

"To thank you for offering a safe place for my brother... but I still blame you for Jessie's death. Don't think I'll ever forgive you for that," I said quietly. He sighed and looked me square in the eye; pulling my chin up slightly to do so.

"I told you that I would be here when you figured it out, and I promised that, as a mate, I would do what I could. So you can tell your brother that I said 'you're welcome'," Kai reminded me. A tear slid down my cheek as I looked away from him. He'd been nothing but nice to me and I was so awful to him. Kai growled and pulled my chin up again a bit rougher. He just watched my face looking for everything. I felt small under his scrutinizing stare. it was the first time in my life I'd ever felt that small.

I didn't deserve Kai, and I knew it. Least of all, I didn't deserve to be Alpha. Kai... Kai was what an Alpha should be. I just stomped around like a selfish brat. And in the end, all I could do was retreat. Kai wrapped me in a hug and shushed me quietly.