Chapter 6

He took a step back like he'd been punched in the gut. It felt like the wind had been knocked out of me as my chest ached. I felt tears roll down my cheeks on their own. It was painful.

I had no idea what I was doing. I was being selfish and I knew it but I couldn't stop myself. He stepped forward and grabbed my arm. I still felt the sparks. I was so confused. I rejected him; why did I still feel that way? I looked at him confused.

"Did you really think it would be that easy?" he asked. "Rejecting me out loud like that only puts us through physical pain for a little while, but you're still my mate," he explained. I shook my head and stepped away from him.

"Are you enjoying this? Does this amuse you? You want to ruin my life and you think it's funny. I was born to be a Goddamn Alpha... not your pup machine, got it?" I said getting angrier by the second. He pulled me into him and sunk his teeth into my neck. I was too shocked to move.

He marked me.

When he pulled away, there was no regret in his eyes. I pushed him away from me before I took a step back.

"Leave," I gritted through my teeth. "Get out of my house and off my land. I never want to see you again," I said quietly. I turned and took off into the woods. I pulled my shorts off and my bra and shifted into my fiery red wolf. I took off running. I had no destination, I just wanted to get away from Kai. I slowed when I felt another wolf running next to me. One touch and I knew it was him, prompting me to run faster. I came up short when I realized that he was matching pace with me easily. He just wouldn't leave me alone. I shifted back and glared at him, too heated to care that I was completely naked now.

"What is your problem?! Why won't you just let this go?" I yelled at him. He shifted as well and my breath caught in my throat at the sight of his muscular body. Leave it to my mate to make me feel embarrassed and mad at the same time. I looked away from him as my face grew hot.

"Because you're my mate! Is that what you want to hear? I've been looking for you everywhere! I finally find you and you want nothing to do with me. I'm not giving up that easily. I'm not giving up on you that easily, no matter how stubborn you insist on being," he said. He took a deep break and ran his fingers through his long hair. I covered my arms over my chest and sighed.

"You don't understand. If I go back with you, this would have all been for nothing," I said as tears streaked my face. Kai sighed and looked away from my face.

"Come on, I'll take you home," he said defeatedly, dropping the subject. I shifted into my wolf and waited for him. He shifted and we walked back home. My dad was standing on the front porch. Kai stopped and rubbed the side of his head along mine, prompting me to go ahead. I growled at him in embarrassment. He licked the side of my face happily causing me to snap my teeth at him before he trotted back into the forest. I grumbled under my breath as I went to get my discarded clothes.

I shifted back and put them back on before I went to the front door. My dad was still there waiting on me with his arms crossed.

"Good to see you're giving Kai a chance," he said honestly, pulling me into the house. I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

"No. I tried to reject him and instead, he marked me," I explained. My dad chuckled.

"Like mother like daughter, then. And let me guess; you're pissed?" he asked. I turned on my heels and glared at him.

"Of course I'm pissed!" I yelled. "And I have this... stupid mark on my neck. What am I supposed to do about this? There's no way I can be with him," I ranted.

"You can," he said. "You know, you're mother refused to be with me for the first year and almost a half. Stubborn woman didn't even accept being Luna until she was almost five months pregnant. Even after we fully mated, she ran away to her Alpha Mason, who she saw as her boyfriend at the time before he met Luna Jessica," my dad explained. I didn't know what to say. I always thought that the way they acted, mom and dad fell in love with each other right off the bat. I sighed and shook my head. That was different though; mom didn't know about werewolves when she met dad.