Chapter 16

When we got back to the backyard, I shifted back and slipped my clothes back on. Once I had on a pair of shorts and a loose fitting shirt on, I walked to the porch where Kai was already waiting for me. The sun was finally starting to set as Kai waited with a lazy smile on his face as he reached for my hand. We walked into the quiet house and back up to my room.

"Is your mom still here?" I asked as I got my pajamas ready.

"She left when I came to talk to you earlier," Kai replied as he sat on a nearby chair.

"I'm going for a shower," I announced. It felt weird telling someone what I was about to do, but I guess it was just something I would have to get used to. Kai stood and placed a quick, gentle kiss on my head.

"When you come back, we've got some stuff to talk about, yeah?" He said seriously. I nodded with a grim smile. I knew it was true. I walked over to the bathroom with my clothes and towel and made it a point to take a long, hot shower. I just needed a minute to think on my own. The facts were that my pack had given up on me. My home was gone. A vengeful Alpha was still out for my head. My best friend had died. I had been horrible to my fated mate until this point but he still protected me. Kai was still looking out for me. I could continue my stubborn ways and deny the facts, or I could give in to my mate and just enjoy being loved by him.

Luna...

The word still made me cringe, but I guess I would just have to get used to it. That was my position. That was where I belonged. And if I was looking on the bright side, it was still a position of leadership. I could still help Kai in any way I could. I smiled slightly into the stream of water as I thought of the kiss earlier. It was better than anything I could've ever imagined and I wasn't even marked by him anymore. His lips were so soft yet demanding. My hand went to my neck automatically at the thought of marking. I should let Kai remark me. It would show him that I was officially giving in. Maybe then he wouldn't see me as a disappointing mate. It could be a start at least.

I turned off the water before stepping out and drying off. I brushed my teeth and hair and got dressed quickly before I headed back to my room. It looked like Kai had showered too. His hair was still slightly damp and in a quick bun as he sat in the edge of my bed. Seeing him made me slightly nervous. It was in my nature to be stubborn and do the opposite of what was expected, I knew I would have to force myself to change and this would be the first step. I sat next to him as I ran the towel along my hair in attempt to dry it. I didn't even know where to start to try and have a normal conversation with him. I really was horrible.

"You should remark me," I muttered quietly. Luckily, he heard me anyway.

"Really?" He asked, caught off guard as he grabbed my hand in his. I looked at out connected hands as I tried to keep myself from blushing or pulling away.

"I mean, I know I'm slow, but I want to go somewhere at least. I want to work with you and try to be a decent mate at least. I can't really do that unmarked," I tried to explain my reasoning. Kai smiled softly at my effort as his hand squeezed mine gently. He pulled me towards him slightly and caught my lips with his in a kiss. My other hand dropped the towel to the floor and went to his cheek. I couldn't believe how addicted to his kisses I was already. He grabbed my waist before sitting me to face him on his lap without ever breaking the kiss. My hands went to his neck as I eagerly kissed him back. His lips broke away from mine before he placed gentle kisses down my neck until he got to a spot he liked. I let out a breathy gasp as my eyes stayed close on their own accord. He hesitated before his teeth sunk into my neck. Electricity surged from the punctures through my body as Kai's arms tightened slightly around my waist. My entire body grew hot as Kai slowly pulled his canines out to kiss around the area. He placed one last kiss on my lips before he pulled back just enough to look at me.

"Thank you," He said softly. I chuckled and shook my head as my body slowly started to come off of its high.

"That probably benefited me more than you," I said honestly. All of my aches and worries slowly disappeared.

"I know, but still," he shrugged. I looked down and realized that I was straddling his lap. I tried to move but Kai's arms held me in place.

"Don't forget that I'm going to morning training with you again tomorrow. I should probably get some sleep. It's been a long day," I hinted. My whole body still felt flush, and I had a feeling the position we were in wasn't helping. Kai smirked and poked my cheek.

"Are you sure you're just not embarrassed for having naughty thoughts right now?" He joked. I pushed myself off of his lap as my blush only deepened.

"We should both be getting some sleep," I said as I crawled under my cover and laid my head on my pillow. Kai hovered over me with a smirk.

"I could stay and sleep with you tonight if you wanted," he said. I pulled the covers over my head as a sudden onslaught of hiccups hit me. I always got the hiccups when I was extremely nervous or embarrassed. Kai laughed and stood up straight.

"Okay, okay, I'll stop messing with you," he finally gave in. "Goodnight, Stella," he said as I hiccuped again. He chuckled before he turned the lights off and closed the door after him. I settled into the bed and hoped my hiccups would go away soon so I could actually get to sleep.