Chapter 26

Kai took me to his room and sat me on his bed before squatting in front of me to meet my eye. He pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and smiled lightly.

"Does this mean we can finally complete the mating bond?" He asked. I blushed before looking at my lap.

"I only just got back, let's take it slow," I suggested.

"If we go any slower, we'll go feral before we even have a chance to complete the bond," he mentioned. I was done fighting him and hating him, but something was still holding me back from taking the final step.

"Let me just... try to get used to honestly being beside you first. I'm not ready for everyone to call me the "L" word and acknowledge me out in town yet. Plus, we started off in a mess. Let's smooth it out first and get to know each other, really," I replied quickly. Kai only chuckled.

"You know, it's okay to just say that you're nervous, but I can wait. You're due to go into heat soon anyway. I'm surprised you haven't already. It's been months," he said.

"I have irregular cycles, so there's no telling when that will happen. Try not to jump my bones when it does," I said as a side note.

"You already know that neither of us will be able to control what happens during that time," he reminded me.

"I know, but agreeing anyway will make me feel better," I pouted. He chuckled before he moved to sit beside me.

"Alright, I promise," he agreed. I kissed him gently as I moved to cradle in his lap. Something about knowing that he's always protected and looked after me made me feel like it was okay to be vulnerable around him. I didn't feel the need to put up my walls or try to act tough. I felt like I could finally be myself, and not then hardened "future Alpha" exterior I was so used to wearing. Kai places a kiss on my forehead before laying me down on the bed. He hovered over me with a soft smile before bringing his lips to mine again. My lips parted as my arms wrapped around his neck. I pulled him closer as I let myself get lost in his kiss. I wanted to wait still, but there was nothing wrong with having a little fun in the meantime.

***

Things between Kai and I were a lot better after I got back. I let go of the 'Alpha shield' and started focusing on being a better person in general. If I was meant to be an alpha, I wouldn't have had an alpha as a mate. I still went to training with the warriors in the mornings, and even started helping Kai with the business side of things in the afternoons. He slowly started showing me the ropes.

"The Sheraton here is also ours. Most of our revenue comes from the military and tourists," he explained as we poured over paperwork at his desk. I sighed before sitting back in the chair. This was far more complicated that my home pack. There were so many things that we'd never done back home. It was different, and Kai handles it all like it was nothing.

"I think it's about time for dinner," I stopped him. Kai chuckled before spinning me in the chair to face him.

"Exhausting, isn't it?" He asked. I nodded before I stood and stretched.

"It's like you're running the entire island. How do you not get tired?" I asked as we walked to the kitchen.

"I do, but before you came along, it was all I had to worry about," he replied as he started pulling ingredients down. I smiled as I watched him cook. Kai normally took care of our meals. I was too embarrassed of the stereotype to cook again so soon.

"But now that I'm here, I can help. If you want me to, that is," I offered.

"A reason to keep you by my side every day? I'll take it," he joked as he started preparing the food.

My smile fell as I felt it start. Heat spread through my body, making me feel hot and bothered. My breathing came out heavier as I pulled at the collar of my shirt. Kai froze as he turned the stove off to look at me.

"Stella," he said. I knew what it was by the frenzied look in his eyes. In a blur, he scooped me up and took me to his bedroom.

"Kai, remember what you promised," I panted as Kai hovered over me. He groaned before kissing me deeply. My arms wrapped around his neck as my fire cooled at his touch. I was in heat, and I knew there was no stopping it. Luckily, my brain didn't want it to stop, or I'd be suffering right now. I found myself pulling at his shirt. He was quick to take it off along with mine. Before I knew it, we were both completely naked. Kai sat on the edge of the bed and sat me on his lap. I was feverish as my lips went to his neck. Luckily, he seemed to have enough self control left to take it slow. I felt completely connected to Kai. In every sense of the word, he was my mate. It felt good to finally acknowledge and feel that with my whole heart.