Chapter 14

Just as I was about to go after Kai, my phone stopped me. I grabbed my phone off of the nightstand and answered it eagerly.

"Mom," I sighed in relief. I hadn't heard anything from them in a while and so was starting to get worried.

"Kennedy. How is everything over there?" She asked.

"I should be asking you that question," I breathed as one of my hands came up to pull at my hair. "It's nice here. Always sunny... peaceful," I answered.

"Kennedy... your dad and I want both of you to stay there for the time being. We're getting help from your Uncle Mason's pack, but all you need to know is Rigor Moon doesn't exist anymore. I know you; don't rush back to fight. It would be pointless," my mom said.

"Doesn't exist? What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, caught off guard.

"There's no pack for you to come home to, Kennedy. When things settle down, we'll send for Micah, but you should stay with your mate,"  she answered. I felt like I was going to collapse. My pack was gone? I would be staying in Hawaii? None of it made any sense.

"Mom, even if the pack is gone, I should still come back," I argued. She paused as she sighed on the other end.

"If you came back, you would be considered a rogue. Just stay where you are. You're safer there. and give your mate a chance. He's your only option right now," she finally replied. My jaw dropped.

A rogue?

More and more things weren't adding up.

"Mom," I breathed.

"We love you, Kennedy. But we can't have you endangering another pack here so soon," she added. I felt the first of my tears fall as the call ended.

I was a threat?

I opened the door to my room and came face to face with Kai. He froze with his hand in the air ready to knock as his eyes followed my falling tears.

"I-I'm sorry about calling you Kennedy," he apologized quickly. I sighed and moved to the side, letting him back in my room.

"I'm not welcomed back... into my pack," I blurted.

"What do you mean?" Kai asked confused. I sighed and moved to sit back on my bed.

"I mean, my mom literally told me that if I come back, I will be a rogue, so you win," I answered. Kai paused before he sat next to me.

"You keep making me out to be this vengeful person, and that's not who I am. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but you always have a place here; even if you don't think you do. I know you hate it here, and you hate me, but you have limited options right now. And me? All I ever wanted was a mate, but instead I got you," he said. I felt more tears brim my eyes at his words. I would never admit this to him because I didn't have the right, but his words stung. I felt my new tears finally spill over as I stared at him, completely frozen. His face softened as he finally looked at me.

I released the breath I was holding before I ran out of my room and outside. I headed towards the vegetation of the trees before I stripped and shifted. I ran. I ran as fast as I could. I had no idea where I was or where I was going but I didn't care. I was hurt and upset with my family and Kai. Everything around me was falling to literal pieces. Even my mate had completely given up on me; not that I blamed him at all. It only made it worse that he was helping out of obligation.

Kai was right: I was a terrible mate. I yelped as I finally stopped and laid down in the middle of the tropical forest. I was happily lost and I wanted nothing more than to stay that way. As I laid there, I longed for my family and home. I wished I could turn back time to before the Alpha Conference and stop everything from happening. I wish I never went at all. I closed my eyes and pretended to melt into the dirt. If I was lucky and hoped hard enough, maybe I could just become invisible. Maybe I could just lay here until even my bones were carried away by wild animals.