Confrontation

The moment Starling confessed his role in his retrieval, Jay felt his fist propelled forward before he could even realize what he was doing. Blood splattered on the shore and Starling stumbled backward. He held his hand on his nose to try control the bleeding.

"We swim now, full speed !" cried Jay.

They both knew the only possible chance to avoid imminent intervention was to achieve intense physical effort, yet again. Adrenaline, rage and a bunch of other desperate feelings were now materializing in their blood, and these things were instantly spotted by the GloCo. Starling untied the top of his outfit and buried his nose in his suit. The medic fabric instantly stopped the flow of blood and cauterized the wound. The two young men looked at each other. For the shortest instant possible, they exchanged a glance of intertwined fear and anger. Starling's face was red with blood and his nose was swollen. He shook his head in complete disbelief. Jay's mind was buzzing with questions. But there was no time to lose. They both plunged into the deep waters and swam madly away from the shore.

They crawled for fifty minutes without a single break before considering the possibility of stopping their insane race. But their confrontation was not over.

"Pause now ?" communicated Starling.

"North shore," answered Jay.

Thus their exceptional swimming practice, displayed for all to admire on the south shore, reached an end on the Competitors' strand.

Starling Kite – Galaxy Competitor – Level 6 – duo racing – 199 bpm – North beach quarters – outstanding

Jay Fleogan – Medium trainer – Level 3 – duo racing – 197 bpm – North beach quarters - outstanding – reached level 4 today

This beach was used mainly by champions and Galaxy Games competitors. Jay had never been there before. It looked like a smaller instance of the Restoration Piazza. Neat little blue lights punctuated the Crystal Willows alleys and the leisure lots oasis. The ground was shimmering with powdered crystal stones, and the effect was staggering now that it was night time. Jay and Starling fell on drying couches nearby, out of breath and knackered.

"We have very little time. Why did you leave this necklace, and what is it?"

"It's...part of my job. It was meant as a test. I thought you'd pass it."

"Your job? ... A test ?"

"Yes. You'd either fail to recognize this fragment of your past, or it would trigger a fatal reaction."

"Why ?" said Jay, trying very hard not to shout.

"Because you were showing signs of stress and nostalgia. We had to make sure you were okay. Re-scheming gone wrong can drive second-borns crazy... Some of them can even take their lives."

"So you did that because you wanted to help me, or because you're some dutiful obedient little creep?"

"How does it matter to you?"

"Cause I thought you were my best friend here."

"I am, Jay..."

"Don't have time to decide if you're a nasty piece of shit or a friend. What is this necklace ?"

"It's a gift from someone in your past. It's kept in case of emergency... Keepsakes are forbidden. These witnesses from your past are brought with you, kept secret and stored away for a few years, just in case. They're the ultimate test."

"So you set a trap for me, knowing I could be retrieved. Who gave it to me ? Who gave me that necklace ?"

"I don't know."

"It's gonna be hard to trust you on that." Jay's eyes were red, his fists were clenched, and he realized he was still breathing very quickly. "I want to lay hands on this necklace. You're gonna help me if you are my friend."

"Sounds like suicide mission ! Jay, I broke my oath to tell you all this. I'll be lucky if I'm still around tomorrow."

Jay badly wanted to punch Starling in the face again. Yet he could not help noticing the expression of mixed guilt and dismay on his face, and he realized he wasn't the only one in danger anymore. He had to force himself to unwind, or they would get him. They would get them. He stood up. He would grab a Dream Pod. It was the best workaround. He would get into that damn thing and drench himself in a soapy gluey dream. With a touch of the hand on the table nearby, he summoned a spot in the nearest Dream Pod.

"Getting myself a Pod right away. Dream something peaceful. Talk again soon."

While he was hurrying away, focusing on his breath and emptying a huge space within him, he heard Starling say :

"Damn it, Jay ! Don't you understand it was the only way to save you?"

A few minutes later, Jay was falling into a Dream Pod's haven of oblivion.