Flight Zone

The night has come. This place is unbearable. I fear it'll be our final hideaway.

What happened to him? I knew this would end up badly. He's probably dead by now.

Why do I feel it all begins and ends with him? 

My life was perfect before meeting Jay.

Yet it started when I first saw him.

It all became... complex.

I'm not quite the same anymore.

I'm feeling so empty.

I'm scared.

I won't give up.

My friends are restless. We all hoped Jay would make it. Did Epos bail on him? Well, after all, we all knew this was extremely risky.

No, I'm not giving up.

"We're not going to give up, right?"

Ananda, Starling and Arende looked at Kizuna, startled. They had remained silent for a couple of hours, listening to every little sound, spying for any light or movement, hidden beneath a pile of old remains, gradually losing hope.

"We're not, but what can we do? Jay hasn't come back. Soon they'll find us."

"That's right. And there's nowhere else we can hide."

"Then, let's get out of this giant pile of crap. Let's steal a Pod and see how far it takes us."

"Star, you know they'll spot us the minute we get out, right?"

"Yes, but by now, Jay should have returned... Let's get as close as we can to the Flight Zone. Who knows? Maybe we'll find him."

"This is crazy!"

"But it's crazy to stay here waiting like hunted beasts. Kizuna's right. We mustn't give up!"

"A hopeless plan, but a plan," admitted Arende.

"We shouldn't! We shouldn't run off like that. Can't we wait a little more?"

"Wait here til we die, or worse? I don't want to be brainwashed. I don't want to stay here!"

"I don't either. Arende, Ananda, please. We need to go!"

"We're gonna get caught, that's what we'll get."

"We won't, babe."

Starling got up and winked at his friends, mechanically brushing his suit. His old self seemed to fight back and although it was a feeble attempt, it was most welcome in this dire situation. The little troop stood up, silently validating the proposition. The four of them knew they had to move slowly, quietly, in the direction of the Landing Zone.

Hardly a minute had elapsed since they had left their cover. They were swiftly progressing, their minds racing and their blood pulsating wildly in their veins, signalling their presence. Kizuna suddenly stopped: Starling was holding up his right hand, bidding them to stand still. Above the horizon, a Retrieving Pod was hovering towards them.

"Oh no!"

"What, already?!"

"We're done for!"

"Shut up!!"

Somewhere on their right, deeper in the Plantations, there was a commotion. Someone panting. Someone running in their direction in a rustle of leaves. They all lied flat on the ground, holding their breath. Seconds later, the Retrievers were already walking toward the source of noise and confusion.