Crossroads

There was this moment that seemed to last eternally. He was right in front of her. As a Galaxy Games Finalist, she had been proposed the best spot down in the Caves. Her hands pressed against the see-through walls, she had been admiring the fight, taking in all the subtle slipping and sliding moves. It was very enjoyable, because she knew he couldn't see her.

He was about to win, about to reach the sixtieth second, and then... She knew before everyone else. He had met with the misfortune they all feared: an incident. And this one was unusual and unexpected. Starling did not release Ama. He did not show any sign of weakness. Yet the gruesome spiraling surge of sanguine fluid was proof that something had happened. She saw Ama freeze. The experienced, quicksilver diver had suddenly stopped struggling. She did not resist anymore, no need to. After a few instants, Starling had finally let go. He was now gently reclining, tossing on his side, listless. There were too many weird details here: first the Medics, who took more than the usual time to reach Starling. Then this gaping wound she caught a glimpse of on his side, issuing more and more blood.

It seemed endless, and there she was, useless, torn, burning inside out. Ama suddenly seemed to realize how critical the situation was. Her body became tense, and she reached for Starling. They were completely surrounded by thick waters, and the Deep Pool had turned red. Ananda couldn't see them distinctly anymore; she just made out the two bodies, one swift and strong, the other one lifeless. But it wasn't like Starling to give up. This couldn't be the end.

No!

Oh, dear spectators, the worst thing has just happened. Our Medics are making their way to the Finalists right now. No need to remind you how little a man's odds of surviving are at this depth and after all the efforts that have been thrown in the battle. Starling Kite's vitals are extremely low right now, he'll be taken to the Recovery Services as soon as he reaches the surface. Let's just hope it won't be too late. This is a reminder of how transient and precious a human life is. Dear friends, the worst is to fear.

This was so wrong. Thoughts were shooting through Ananda's mind. She was running now, pushing everyone aside and heading to the Shore level, hoping she wouldn't be too late. Her footsteps were in sync with the pace at which images were racing in her head: this lingering evening spent close to Starling; the urge to tell him stupid, sentimental things; the need to see him again. The disillusion. The resentment. And always, always the impulse to take his hand, touch his skin. But no. It wasn't like her to show vulnerability. She wouldn't give her heart away. Especially not to someone like him. Not with all these girls around him. Not with all his carelessness. Not...

Maybe it's too late. Please, let it be okay. Please, let him live.

She reached the Shore just in time. Rushing madly, she came to a standstill a few steps from him. The Medics were bent on Starling. Probing. Analyzing. Healing the ugliest wound she'd ever seen. His eyes were shut, and he didn't move anymore. His head was resting on his right cheek, and little curls were nestling in his neck. Standing next to him, Ama was silent, tears rolling down her cheeks, her hands red and her arms dangling aimlessly.

Ananda realized how profoundly silent the Swimming Grounds were. As Starling's body was being taken away, there was not the slightest sound around.

Dear viewers, dear inhabitants of B24, dear visitors, Starling Kite is being taken to the Recovery Services. But he's very unlikely to recover. He has stopped breathing for too long...lack of oxygen...terrible damage...

And she hadn't even wished him good luck. She had not even talked to him one last time. She had...ignored him.

Beyond recovery...amazing battle...most regretted already...

Not a sound, not a movement. Ananda joined the Medics and took Starling's hand. It was cold and limp. She took a good look at the face she had cherished secretly for so long. His wet hair was sticking to his temples. His lips were white, his tiny freckles had gone pale too. Then she felt it. She felt the slightest move in her hand. The gentlest push. Maybe he wasn't dead, then? Or maybe she just wished for this?

Oh Star, I'm sorry. I won't let you down this time.

It took her all the persuasion and charisma she could muster to convince the Medics to let her accompany them. It had struck her that for some reason, they were all giving up on Starling a little too easily.

As they all seemed to already mourn the diver, she decided she would not give up. Starling's hand was lifeless again. Maybe she had imagined this. But it didn't matter. She would go with him, wherever it might take her. Tears she could spare for later. If she really wanted it, she would sort it out. She had to.

Jay felt the Retrievers lift his body, tossing the box away from him. He felt a hand beginning to press on his forehead. He hurled himself against the men around him, still blind from the shock, throwing all his might and rage into the movement. He wasn't going to give up. Not until he drew his last breath.

Ananda realized something had grown in her throat. Something she had never experienced. It kept her from breathing correctly. It seemed to be swelling, and she couldn't take it away. There was a burning feeling too. Her hands were shaking. She needed to scream, yet nothing came out. The Medics were now explaining that she had to let go. That it was too late. There was nothing else to do, and the body had to be disposed of.

Dear fellows, Starling Kite is dead. Memory be given to the One who Fights. It is all for the best.

Screaming wouldn't be sufficient. Crushing Starling in her arms wouldn't be sufficient. She was going to implode. Maybe she should die too. And then, she felt it again. His hand in hers. A feeble, gentle pressure.

Jay knew the fight was unequal. Epos was still unable to join, he heard him moaning on the floor. But the Retrievers were firmly grasping him, swearing through the desperate blows he kept giving.

Then the loudest sound ever reverberated through the Chamber. Followed by a low rumble.

She was in such pain... Was she losing her mind? Starling was declared dead, yet... Surely, this was a mistake. Or... a trap? How was she supposed to help him? Confused, she threw herself on his body, saving precious seconds, holding on to the foolish hope that he could still be saved.

What am I going to do?