10-This is the End (AVPSY)

Once, a few years ago, on his patrol, Javert had met a boy, perhaps nine years of age.

The boy was like your typical gamin; free-spirited, cocky, yet charming. He seemed dirt poor, yet perfectly healthy.

"Hello, Inspector." he said.

"How are you, boy?" asked Javert.

"I'm fine, Inspector."

Out of curiosity, Javert had asked the gamin, "Do you have a family, boy?"

"I do."

"Then where are they?"

"The Gorbeau slum."

"Why aren't you with them?"

"I haven't seen them in years."

"How do you get by?"

"Have you ever met a gamin, Inspector?"

"How do you get by? Theft and lies?"

"I'd prefer to call it acting. Would you like to learn, Inspector? Or are you too unintelligent for the ways of the gamin?"

And that's how Javert had ended up getting acting lessons from this little gamin. It actually improved his skills; he became better at tricking criminals to confess their crimes. One day, he came to the little boy.

"Hello, Inspector Javert." the boy greeted. "I'm afraid I must leave. I have other affairs I must pursue, which are none of the business of an Inspector."

Javert raised an eyebrow. "Like what?"

The gamin shrugged. "I don't know yet. But I must move on to another part of the city. Farewell, Inspector. Our acquaintanceship, I'm afraid, must end. And if you find me committing a crime, you're more than welcome to arrest me.'" He took off into a sprint. "If you can catch me!"

"Boy!" called Javert, upon a sudden realization. "What is your name?"

"Gavroche!" the gamin yelled. "And don't you forget it!"

And, with a lonely smile, Gavroche turned at the corner. Entertaining Javert had been fun while it lasted, but it was dangerous to be friends with the Inspector.

***

Fast forward to the barricade. Javert took a deep breath. And he approached the leader in red. "Boy. I have information about the army."

Enjolras perked up. "What is it, brother?"

"They will wait for dawn, then attack when we are most vulnerable." he replied.

"Liar!" came a horrifyingly familiar voice. Gavroche stepped out of the crowd of revolutionaries. "This, my friends, is my good friend the Inspector. He's lying."

"Acting." hissed Javert. "Isn't that what you told me, little gamin?"

He didn't resist when he was seized by schoolboys. "Do what you want." he spat. "You're just children. Do you really expect to win?"

"Tie him up and throw him away." ordered Enjolras.

Gavroche joined Courfeyrac and Bahorel as they threw Javert in an alleyway.

Before Gavroche was out of earshot, Javert said grimly, "It's your choice, gamin. In not too long, your world will end."

Gavroche couldn't even begin to know how right Javert was.

***

"Who's there?" shouted a soldier.

"French Revolution!" yelled Enjolras with pride.