13-Sidekick (AVPSY)

Grantaire fell off his chair. Ha, that rhymed.

It was quiet. Too quiet.

He scrambled to his feet. He felt horrible. He could barely stand, there was a ringing in his hears, and he had a headache.

"How long have I been out?" he asked as he steadied himself with a table.

The silence bothered him. He was so used to the chatter of Le Musain. He glanced out the window and saw nothing. No one was outside.

He carefully wobbled outside, holding onto the tables. He fell three times trying to get the door open. When he finally got out, he fell again. But not because of his balance.

His friends were dead. He felt his eyes getting wet. They had lost. Of course. What he had predicted.

Courfeyrac, Combeferre, Jehan, Joly, and the rest of them. Dead and gone.

He tripped on something. He looked down. It was little Gavroche.

"Oh, Gavroche," he said softly, emphasizing the 'roche' for the first time in a long time.

He tried to control himself, but then he saw her lying in the corner.

"Eponine.." He rushed to her and cried silently. Eponine. The lonely girl. The only one he could confide in. The only one who understood.

"Oh, Eponine!" he cried, "You didn't deserve this!" He held her in his arms.

What about Marius? Still holding Eponine, he looked around. Marius wasn't among the dead bodies. He must have survived! How could've he survived when everyone else, including Eponine, was killed? A quick, sad smile came across his face.

"You died for him, didn't you?" He chuckled a bit. "You know, I would've done the same for-"

Enjolras! Where was Enjolras? Enjolras wasn't there. That meant he was still out there, perhaps with Marius, alive and well.

Alive and well until I find him, thought Grantaire, I'll never forgive him for this.

Of course he was lying to himself. He hated Enjolras more than anything, but he loved him just as much. And he needed to find him. He sprang to his feet, dropping Eponine in the process. He was hit with a pang of guilt.

"Oh, Eponine, I'm sorry!" He fell to his knees and picked her up again. "I wish I could've saved you and the others."

"It's not fair," he sang, "it's not fair,

I didn't know, I wasn't there," He instantly regret sleeping in Le Musain.

"It's not fair, It's not fair,

Seeing you lying there,

I wasn't strong enough

To save you from the evil stuff," The soldiers' dead bodies were there, too.

"I wasn't smart like you

To do what you would do." He glanced at Combeferre.

"I know I'm not a leading man,

I know I'm not a star,

But I know what makes me special

Is what I feel in my heart.

I'm just a sidekick, but I love...

Bein' at your side!"

He put Eponine down (gently this time).

"Don't worry, Eponine!" he said. "If I ever see Marius again, I'll make sure that your sacrifice wasn't in vain. He will be happy! He will marry Cosette! And he will remember you! But first..."

He raised an invisible sword. "I will find Enjolras!" He continued to sing.

"I've been in the shadows for far too long-
But I'm the leading man of this song,
I was a stupid doofus but now that's gone,
I'm ready for a change, gonna keep calm and carry on!"

He did a little dance.

"I know I'm not a pretty boy, but I'm a man," Grantaire certainly was the least attractive out of all his friends-"

I'll find a way to save you, baby

Yes, I can!

Don't confuse the way i was with the way I am

I'm ready for a change, gonna take a stand!

I'm just a sidekick

I'm just a sidekick

I'm just a sidekick
but I love being at your side!"

He kissed Eponine's forehead, then said, "Goodbye for now, my best friend. I will see you again someday, Eponine!"

With one last smile, Grantaire ran off, not wanting to waste time.

"I'm always forgotten
always come in second place
I'll never be a front man
no one can remember my face
If I was in a dinner
I would surely be the less prominent taste

but when I think of how I feel for you
and the love I have inside,"

He did exactly that.

"I forget about all the things I am not
and my heart swells up with pride!"

Grantaire felt quite exhilarated. He ran as fast as his feet could carry him. He didn't quite know where he was going, but his heart told him that Enjolras would be there.

"Am I the strongest? (no I'm not)
Am I the smartest? (no I'm not)
Am I the hottest? (ha) (no I'm not)
But am I the greatest (no I'm not)

Am I the hero? (no I'm not)
Am I the one who steals the show ?(no I'm not)
Am I the one who you should know? (no I'm not)
But am I the one who takes you home? (definitely not)

Am I the chosen one? (no I'm not)
Am I the prodigal son? (no I'm not)
Am I almost done? (no I'm not)

But I'm the one who's gonna love you with-- all of his heart because... that's what I got!
I'm the one who's gonna love you with-- all of his heart because... that's what I've got!"

Enjolras was close. He could feel it.

"I'm not a great athlete, guess I'm good at art

 But I know my brain is not my most impressive part
My feet can barely work but it's just a start
but I know what makes me special's what i feel in my heart!

I'm just a sidekick
I'm just a sidekick
I'm just a sidekick
but I love, I love, I love being at your side!"

Grantaire came to a stop. He had arrived. Somewhere in the building in front of him, he would find his leader in red.