14-Even Though (MAMD)

A/N: My heart is breaking into a million different pieces. You have been warned.

"Stay here." ordered one of the soldiers.

Enjolras gave him a look. He was tied up and all the exits were guarded. Where would he go?

The soldiers left him alone. He sighed. He had accepted his fate the moment Gavroche had been shot. He did not even try to escape. He missed his friends.

Marius had disappeared in the middle of the last battle. He was probably twirling around with his girlfriend, Cosette somewhere. He was probably happy.

Suddenly, Enjolras heard bangs, thuds, and a familiar voice cussing. The door swung open and there stood-

"Grantaire!?"

Grantaire smiled and dashed towards Enjolras. He instantly began untying the ropes.

"Grantaire, what are you doing?" asked Enjolras, struggling with both the ropes and the cynic's hands.

"I'm saving you." said Grantaire sincerely. "Consider this making up for how little I helped during the revolution."

"Grantaire, I-" Enjolras did not know what to say. How did Grantaire find him? And why was he doing this?

The ropes fell to the floor. Enjolras felt his cheeks turn pink as Grantaire grabbed his wrists to try to pull him out the door. The blond resisted.

"What's holding you up, Enjolras?" said Grantaire. "The soldiers will come back soon; we have to go!"

"Grantaire, you-you don't understand." Enjolras said guiltily. "I-I don't want to be saved."

"Why not?"

"My part- My part is done. When I said that I'd die for revolution, I meant it."

"But Enjolras-"

"Go, Grantaire. Carry on with your life. I am damaged, but you are beyond repair."

"Enjolras, wrong musical."

Enjolras rolled his eyes. "What I'm saying is that you have a chance, Grantaire. You weren't even one of us. As for me," he looked down, "The captain goes down with his ship."

"But Enjolras!" Grantaire put his hand on Enjolras' shoulder. " I've come for you! I wanted to help you! Help you- start a new life. With-with me." He fell silent, red in the face.

Was the artist pulling Enjolras' leg as he always was? Or did he really mean what he was saying? Did Grantaire actually... no, that was silly. But there was a chance- wait, why was Enjolras questioning Grantaire's feelings? It was not like it mattered, anyways... The leader in red was not going to be with the cynic for much longer.

Grantaire sighed. "If you're not leaving, then I'm staying with you."

"No!" Enjolras burst out suddenly. His blush deepened. "I mean, uh, Grantaire, why waste your life?"

"My life's a waste without you."

Enjolras' face was burning hot now. The man in front of him laughed. "Your face is as red as your jacket!" he remarked. "But, really." His face became serious again. "I'll be here with you. 'Til the end."

"No!" Enjolras repeated. "I'm not going to let you. You never believed in revolution, now you want to die for it?"

"I'll die for you! Why don't you understand?"

"No!" Why did Grantaire want to do this to himself? "I'm still your leader, Grantaire, and I'm ordering you to leave! So, for at least once in your life, listen to me!" Tears formed in Enjolras' eyes as he added softly, "Please?"

Grantaire suddenly closed the gap between them, his lips pressing up against Enjolras'. He pushed Enjolras to the wall. Breathing heavily and face wet with tears, Enjolras hurt all over. Nothing physical. But his heart ached. He pushed the artist away. "Go. They're coming back. Wouldn't want them to think you're breaking me out."

Grantaire turned away, crying as well. "If that's what you want, Enjolras."

For a second, Enjolras was satisfied. But that feeling did not last long. Why did he suddenly want Grantaire to stay? How he be so selfish? He had to let Grantaire continue his life happily. Without Enjolras. While Enjolras was about to die. Without Grantaire.

"Without Grantaire..." he murmured. Just as Grantaire had reached the door, Enjolras sang out:

"Wait, don't go! 

There's something
I need you to know!"

Grantaire turned around. "What is it?"

"Um, it's just- uh, it's- uh, um- shit." Enjolras was at a loss for words again. "I don't know." he ended up singing in response.

Grantaire looked down. "Oh, okay. Farewell, Enjolras."

"Just wait!" Enjolras continued,

"My head's confused but

I know there's something in it
Won't you stay? Please stay
Until I get it clear-"

"What are you trying to say?"

"What I'm trying to say is, 

I'd feel much better if you would stay here..."

Enjolras took Grantaire by the hand and pulled him closer.

"Even though I was blind before

I've realized there is so much more
And it was always deep down in the core of me
I know it now

And even though it seems too much to take
There's a feeling I can't seem to shake
I feel like, I am reading the signs
'Cause I know that I'm
Coming Around!"

"So, you mean-" Grantaire began, but was cut off by his love.

"I thought I wanted my world

Perfect as could be
When what I needed was
The one, who is perfect for me..."

"You- you really think so?"

"Even though it used to seem so wrong

I've taken you for granted far too long
We're falling right into the denouement
And now I'm breaking ground-"

The two looked at each other and sang,

"Even though I felt it from the start

It's only now we're beating with one heart
I'm sure that, now is time
'Cause I know that I'm..."

The door opened and the soldiers came back inside.

"Who knocked down our guards?" barked the really annoying one who always said everything.

"I did." said Grantaire with pride. "And if you're killing Enjolras, you're killing me, too."

The soldiers shrugged and pointed their guns nonetheless.

"Any last words?" one demanded.

"Permets-tu?" Grantaire really wanted this. All he wanted was to be with Enjolras.

Enjolras took hold of Grantaire's hand. "If it's in your heart." He paused, then added in almost a whisper, "Mon amour."

They faced the soldiers and sang, "I'm Coming Around!"

The soldiers did not hesitate to fire.

The two boys died hand in hand, smiling.