4

I bolted upright from my sleeping position once I realized that I had clicked off my alarm.
I quickly put my glasses on and made my bed, walking over to the dresser at the opposite end.

It had three drawers and a flat top. My pants were folded and placed in the bottom, my undershirts, socks and things such as that were in the first, the second held my sweaters, and the top held a lockbox.

The box was empty except for two things. The first was a small Bible, small enough to fit in your pocket. Inside the leather-bound bible, was a folded up slip of paper. It read;

"The world is a cruel, cruel place. Do its dirty work so it doesn't kill you first."

The bottom right corner had a signature. The signature of one Desyree Judith Flinn, who always signed with her full name, and in the lower left corner, she had written the names of her children.

I manged to get dressed, brush my teeth, and be out the door in four minutes.

I dashed through the back alley just to the left of my living space. I always cut around and walked through the neighborhood on the other side.

It was lovely. People walked their pets, chattered casually with their neighbors, and most importantly, paid no mind to me. I was background character.

However, this time, many were watching as I practically ran through the streets on the crisp autumn day.

Once I reached Braverman's, I came through the back door, only six minutes late. Catching my breath, I gathered the tools I needed to finish my project.

"Blue, Blaine Marston will be here later to pick up the truck" Todd yelled back at me from the front of the shop.

Blaine Marston? Blaine Marston !  My mind screamed. Shit, shit shit shit.

My old neighbors, the ones who called the cops- Blaine was the oldest of their children. He only had a sister, May, I thought? No, it was Mavis. I couldn't even remember what they looked like.
Blaine had to of been 13 when I left home. Yes, because Natasha was the same age as him.

I hadn't quite figured out what to do yet, before the boy himself came through the door.

"I'm a little early, but I'm here to pick up my truck. Blaine Marston" he said to Todd and I turned to walk away so he wouldn't see me.

"Hey, Blue!" Todd yelled. I cringed at the name. Slowly I turned around to face Blaine.

His name was a color I couldn't quite figure out, until I looked at him. He had black hair that was swept back into a baseball cap, so the length was unknown. His eyes were an icy blue and his face was perfectly proportioned. He stood taller than I expected, looking to be about 6'4, and he wore black jeans with a dark blue college sweatshirt.

His name was emerald green.

"Blue will help you out" Todd directed Blaine over to me. I wished he didn't recognize me.

"I'm Blaine" he said, and held out his hand, I shook it firmly. He looked at me waiting for a reply.

"Oh, he doesn't talk" Shawn said.
I hadn't even noticed that he was there. That happened sometimes, he just... appeared.

"Right, um, the red truck" Blaine said, and pointed to it. I nodded and lowered the car off the lift. I opened the garage, so he could back it out and be on his way. Hopefully I wouldn't see him again. Hopefully he wouldn't remember me.

I started working on another car that day. One that I didn't envy quite as much. It was a Plymouth Road Runner that was un ugly maroon color.

I had just started getting to work on it, as I heard that door chimes jingle.

"Hello again" Todd waved and gave a cheerful smile, "what can I do for ya?"

I slid out from the Road Runner to see who it was, and of course, it was Blaine.

"I was wondering if I could talk to Blue" he said nonchalantly.

"Well, you certainly can"

I had a feeling of dead in my gut. I stood up and wiped my hands off on one of the towels on the counter next to my workspace.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go get a coffee or something after you get off"

I was caught off guard, and stood there for a moment with wide eyes, until Shawn came over.

He patted me on the back and said, "He gets off at five thirty if you wanna go to Geo's right across the street" Shawn winked at me, then walked away.

"Great! see you then!" and with that, Blaine left the shop.

I turned to Shawn with the "why the hell did you do that" look.

"What? You need friends Blue. You seem lonely" he stuck his bottom lip out in a fake pout. I rolled my eyes at him, and started back on the Plymouth, thinking of ways to get out of going with Blaine.