Chapter 22: An unhealthy relationship

A/N: 07.05.19

Here's an early update xx

-K

🚬🚬🚬

I inserted the key into the door and opened it, wiping away the last of my tears with my sleeve and fanning my face. But as soon as I stepped in, my parents came storming out of the living room with eyes flaring with anger. I was so busy thinking and worrying about Killian that I had completely forgotten that it was my past my curfew.

"CARTER JONES, WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU BEEN?!" yelled Mom, her face turning bright red as a veins bulged out of her forehead. I flinched as she raised her voice, eyes falling to the floor. "Do you know how worried we were? Why didn't you answer our calls or texts? What were you doing this late at-" she paused, taking a closer step towards me and sniffing the air. I looked up and noticed that her nose started to wrinkle, the shock slowly registering to her face and making me stiffen.

"Did you drink?" She asked weakly. She roughly grabbed my chin and looked into my eyes that had a hard time focusing on hers and her lips parted. "Are... Are you drunk?!"

I didn't answer, pulling away from her grasp as she let out a loud cry, putting the back of her hand against her forehead as she leaned against dad as if she were about to faint.

"Goodness gracious," she gasped weakly. "What's gotten into you?"

"Carter, you have a lot of explaining to do!" Yelled Dad, holding onto Mom who looked as pale as a ghost. "Do you think that this kind of behavior is acceptable in this household?! Did all our efforts to raise you to be a good child mean nothing?! Carter, do you even know how grateful you should be towards us?!" His voice started to rise and he shook with anger.

I would have normally stood there and taken everything in obediently, apologising for something that I didn't feel sorry for just to please my parents. But I was fed up. I was sick and tired of it, and even if Killian was the last person I wanted to think about right now, the words that he said to me at his house left a strong impact on me.

"It's your life."

And since today seemed to be the day where I made the most bold but regretful decisions, for the very first time in my life, I talked back to my parents.

"I am grateful," I argued, trying not to slur my words. "I... I'm thankful for everything you two do for me, it's just that sometimes, it's too much for me to handle. I'm always studying and my entire life revolves around nothing but studying. The only friends that I have are Alix and Eshe because I'm so cut-off from the rest of the world!" I said in a shaky voice, swallowing the lump in my voice. "I just want to be a normal teenager and have some fun, just a little-"

A felt a hand slap hard against my cheek, my eyes widening as my face was now turned to the side from the impact. I stood there, bangs drooping over my forehead as I tried to process what just happened.

What shocked me the most wasn't the fact that I was slapped, but that it was Mom who hit me this time. After blinking a few times, I slowly turned my gaze towards hers, flinching as I saw the pained look in her glassy eyes glazed with a thick layers of tears.

"Mom," I whisered in a faint voice, feeling my chest tighten.

Her lips started to quiver as she slowly retrieved her hand, regret filling her gaze before she looked away. Anger? Disappointment? Disgust?