8: Martin

7/4/3028

Not long after Keiran left, there was a knock at my door.

"Come in," I said.

The door slid open horizontally and Elossai walked in with a fresh plate of fruit. She apologized again, but I shrugged it off. A look of relief crossed her face.

Only a few minutes went by before I was patting my belly. My hunger was satiated by the strange but delicious fruit.

When I finally looked up from stuffing my face, I was surprised to find Elossai still observing me with her eyes sparkling. Unlike in my vision, Elossai's eyes weren't hollow at all—they were a bright, emerald green.

I knew Keiran wanted me to rest, but I was full of energy after eating and, not to mention, very curious about my new environment. I needed answers to the questions multiplying at an exponential rate in my head.

I set the plate on the bed next to me. "Thanks for the fruit, Elossai."

"What... I... You are most welcome, Sye-Liene Anmyn," Elossai said, looking surprised.

Sye-Liene.

"You can call me Ellis."

"Is it not Ellis Ann Moore?"

"It is, but you don't have to call me by my full name."

"Very well, I shall call you Ellis Ann," she said sweetly.

"Is thanking people not part of the custom here?" I asked. She tilted her head sideways, confused. "What I mean is," I gestured loosely with my palm facing up. "you seem surprised when I thanked you."

"It is customary. I, personally, have never been thanked before."

"Never been thanked before?" My eyes widened.

"I should be the one to thank you." She stared at her feet.

"For what?"

"Forgiving me of my error with the tray earlier."

"You don't need to thank me for that. It really wasn't a big deal. To me, it never happened." I gave her a smile which she returned gladly. I wanted clarification on the relationship between Elos and his or her master. Was it a parent and child type, or slave and master?

I really hope it's not slave and master.

I cleared my throat. "Keiran explained to me about where Elos come from. I had a question and I was wondering if you could answer it."

"Of course." She stood taller.

"So, I'm told that all Elos have masters ... Is it a mother-daughter type of relationship?"

"Not at all."

"Is it familial in any way?"

She shook her head. "It is a servant-master type of bond."

"I see," I said under my breath. I didn't like it.

I walked over to the table to pick up the clothes and Elossai immediately offered her assistance as I started to change, but I told her it wasn't necessary. I wondered if anyone here ever did anything for themselves.

The dress was red and white with enormous puffed sleeves. It wasn't really my style, but the fabric was comfortable enough so I couldn't complain.

"You missed a garment." Elossai picked up a red veil that had fallen to the ground. "Here, let me help you."