33: Keep it Secret

7/17/3028

The next couple of days had been a little more relaxed. I still had basic combat and archery with Jarek and Ilta, so I was still being productive with my time. I learned that Keiran and Stanjah spent a great deal of their time doing damage control—attempting to convince the other leaders to delay judgment until after the dahii on the twenty-third.

We made it a point to visit Elossai daily, and each time I could see drastic improvement. Perhaps Martin was right about the sick healing faster when they had support from friends.

I also made sure to ask Elossai in her room about what the Ruhamun Ekkain was, and she was immediately taken aback. She explained to me that it is a term used for people with heterochromia.

Elossai said that the history of the Ruhamun came from a legend derived from Doon. The Ruhamun destroyed many nations and had odd-eyes as well. The source of his evil and power was in the eyes.

Simply put, the Ruhamun Ekkain meant the Ruhamun incarnate. It was no wonder that King Udi and King Rit were repulsed by my appearance.

***

Elossai was finally allowed to leave her room and had tagged along with Martin to visit me in my room. We gathered around my bed so that I could show her the black chest and the locket.

When I pulled the chest out from under my pillow, Elossai recoiled.

"It was in a box of Sye-Liene's things brought from Incus," I said.

"It is made of corin." Elossai touched the chest with a worried expression.

"You can use corin to make items?" I asked.

"It is rarely done and can only be done by one who is exceptionally skilled in corin manipulation." She bit her lower lip. "Ellis Ann, I had only seen the chest in Incus once before."

"Dunek Anmus said that these items were important to me. Do you know why?"

"What your intentions were for the corin chest and uni-elk, I do not know. We did not converse much in those days."

I took the key out of my locket and opened the chest to show Elossai the Auburn cloak.

Elossai's shoulders rose.

"What's wrong?" Martin asked.

"It's made of uni-elk!" she cried.

"Uni-elk?" Martin asked. "You mean the pelt with magical properties?"

"That's correct," she said, holding the cloak up in admiration.

"What about the writing inside the chest?" Martin placed the chest on Elossai's lap.

Elossai carefully read the writing carved into the inner lid of the chest, tracing the characters with her finger. When she finished, she shifted away from the chest, swallowing hard.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"The words, written in Sye, are a seal of protection."

"What is it protecting?" Asked Martin.

"Itself. The seal of protection renders it indestructible."

"You mean the words are like a spell? Like magic?"

"It isn't magic. The chest is made of corin, and these words were carved onto it through incantation by someone with supreme corin manipulation knowledge."

"What about someone as skilled as Sye-Liene? Could she have done it?" I asked. Elossai looked sullen and distraught and didn't answer my question. I decided not to press her on the subject. "Why does this chest need to be protected so well?"