46: Into the Forest

7/26/3028

The five of us headed by tram to the southwest edge of town to Sigti County. From there, we hired a carriage to take us to the boundary of Sigti forest. From the inn, it took six hours for us to make it there.

I passed my locket over to Ilta so she couldlead the way—after all, reading maps was her strong suit. The next thing I didwas put my eye-patch away in my pocket. I wanted to enjoy the scenery with both eyes.

Martin slowed his pace and I caught up with him. Elossai walked with Ilta further ahead.

"So..." Martin cleared his throat, trying to be nonchalant. "Are you gonna tell me what's up with Elossai?"

"She went through a maturing phase—no big deal," I said.

"No big deal? Babe, she went from being a preteen to being... Man, I don't even know."

"What do you think?" I asked Martin, teasingly.

"What do I think?" Martin raised his voice, then continued in a hushed voice. "Depends on what you mean." I shrugged my shoulders, avoiding his question. Martin rolled his eyes, annoyed. "Can you at least tell me if she's okay?"

"Yeah, I think she'll be alright," I replied.

***

We decided to set up camp in a grass clearing while there was still some daylight left. It was the perfect spot—well hidden from any potential enemies or Ankin soldiers.

"I should see if I can find any game. We need food if we're to have adequate energy tomorrow." Ilta picked up her bow and quiver full of arrows. She then handed my locket back to me, and I looped it around my neck.

"I'll come with you, Ilta," Martin said, then he winked slyly at me. I knew he was planning to ask Ilta about Elossai's condition. Very smart of him.

Elossai searched for dry twigs and branches nearby to build a fire. I offered to help, but she insisted that I not trouble myself since we only need enough firewood for cooking and not for warmth in this summer weather. Keiran invited me to sit with him under a tree and, of course, I was happy to catch up with him.

"How did you manage to leave Ien?" I asked.

"Once the guards had regained consciousness, Stanjah was informed. I told her that I was leaving Ien to find you," Keiran said.

"And she let you go?"

"She wasn't given a choice," Keiran said, allowing a smirk to briefly form in the corners of his mouth.

"What about your father?" I asked. Keiran didn't immediately respond, which could only mean that Dunek didn't know yet. "What will you say to him when he catches wind of everything?"

"I'll deal with the situation when I cross paths with him again," he answered, voice restrained and unemotional.

"What happened between you two?" I asked after some time passed.

Keiran glanced at Elossai to see if she was out of hearing range before he spoke again. "My father has always been distant—even before the death of my brother. After the passing of my brother and mother, he had no choice but to communicate more often with me."

"And that's when the friction began?"

"You could say that. I don't do things the way he does, though he would like me to." He leaned back against the tree.

"Dunek Anmus would like you to be more like him."

"Indeed. My brother was very much like him. Me, on the other hand..." he said, glancing up at the sky with a slight smile before letting his gaze drift back to me. "I hope you have been well since leaving Ien?"