23: Heart on My Sleeve

7/7/3028

I nearly fell out of my chair when I woke. In an attempt to slow my heart rate, I rested my hand on my chest.

Get a grip. I need to stop letting my imagination get the better of me.

I flipped through the geography book again, trying to remember all the continents, countries, and territories. I barely managed to remember the five main continents of Eloria: Doon, Olorisi, Ankinia, Syelos and Nevv. Anything more was impossible. Just the continent of Doon alone was made up of more than twenty countries.

Time for a break.

I picked up a much thinner book from the shelf: Faces of Eloria. When I flipped it open, I was thrilled to see that there were many pictures with descriptions of the races, their native territories, and many other fun facts. The print was larger in this book as well, which made it easier on the eyes.

I skipped the first few pages about the Ankins and went on to the next section. It had been quiet for too long and I needed to hear something, even if it was my own voice.

"The Driars." I cleared my throat before starting again. "The Driars live in the country Hnid but also travel and live in other parts of Doon."

I glanced down to the picture of a male Driar. He was tall and stood upright on two legs like a man. His hands were webbed with larger, circular finger, and he had a neck a few inches longer than any human. There was no hair covering his head, and his skin looked rather leathery and lizard-like with a mixture of tan and dark brown spots. His eyes, void of an iris, were completely black. I might just faint if I ever encountered one.

This Driar looked frightening, but I should know never to judge someone by their appearance. Perhaps they were a well-mannered, easy-going bunch. I'd have to prepare myself mentally before I met one.

I skipped near the end of the book to the Olourians, expecting to see something similarly frightening. I was delighted to learn that the Olourians were a race of relatively short, furry creatures.

"Faces of Eloria," Keiran said as he shut the door behind him. I didn't even hear him open it. He pointed to the book in my hand as he walked over to me.

"It's an interesting book. I like how there's so many pictures in it so I don't have to try to imagine how the different races look," I said enthusiastically.

"That's why we use it in our schools. In Ankinia it's required reading for all our fourth- and fifth-year students."

"Oh..." I set the book down, feeling embarrassed for gravitating towards a children's book.

"Have you been here studying the whole time?" he asked.

"Yep." I decided not to mention that I took a nap in between.

Keiran looked at the wall clock behind him. The hour hand was on the nineteenth hour. "I think it's time you had a break. Shall we go outside for a bit?"

***

Keiran thought that getting a little riding practice in would be a great idea. I agreed, as being confined in the study was making me restless. We went to the stables on the south side of the manor and mounted our steeds. As we trotted across the manicured lawn, I could smell the freshly cut grass. It seemed that the tall wall surrounded the premises from all directions.

"Can we ride out into town?" I asked. I really wanted to see it up close.

"Not today," Keiran said. "We'll keep the riding light, so just around the premises. Don't worry, you'll get to go into town on Month Seven, Day 12—"