28: Watchful Eyes

7/14/3028

Over the past few days I'd worked hard to learn as much as I could. Keiran helped me practice riding until I looked somewhat confident, and Martin worked me hard as my study partner. It wasn't all work with Martin though, he had a way of balancing out the mundane with some fun.

Stanjah had given me and Martin our own tablets and we would check the news reports often. The tablet was limited to news reports, history, geography, and culture. One thing Martin and I noticed quickly was that Tor-Kenner's tablet had access to a wider selection of new reports and searches. Still, Martin's tablet had plenty information to keep us preoccupied for months.

The fuss around my odd eyes had piqued my curiosity, so we searched for information on the Ruhamun, but came up empty on the subject. We then searched for information on Sye-Liene's six-year disappearance, but there was no mention of that either. Martin and I suspected that it wasn't common knowledge and the empty search proved that.

Whatever the Ankins' reason for keeping it classified, I didn't have the time and energy to worry about it. We needed their help to find Katie, and if I helped them by being Sye-Liene, they'd be more eager to help us.

I soaked up as much knowledge as I could. I looked up Bellavu, the thirteenth hour, and learned that Syelos was the originator. The essence of Bellavu started with it being in reverence of the Elosra Tree. Since Syelos housed the Tree, Bellavu contributions were made to Syelos.

In modern years, Syelos became secularized and Bellavu hour was kept for charitable donations. The Olourians, on the other hand, adhered strictly to Bellavu hour with daily prayer time at the thirteenth hour and donations given to their respective temples. The Driars were equally as devout as the Olourians, but they practiced their own unique rituals. One thing that all the nations did was make Bellavu contributions to Syelos. Stanjah said it aided in the transaction for corin.

No wonder Syelos is affluent.

Regardless of the sheer amount of time I devoted to study in my waking moments, my dreams were always dominated by images of the portrait and the locked black chest. Those items mystified me even more than the markings on my back and neck.

It was the Seventh month, Day 14—and a new moon tonight. Across Eloria, the new moon signified a day of luck for the many cultures in Eloria, and perhaps it was for this reason that the leaders chose this day to visit. It was decided that instead of having us move to the capital for the meeting, the leaders would visit Ien. Every aspect of this occasion was political, and this city will find itself on the map, promoted as a future metropolis. Additionally, it would boost the morale of the locals.

Martin was due to arrive today in much the same fashion as I did two days ago. He would play the role of staff advisor to Dunek Anmus—it had been deemed too radical to introduce him as a visitor from a faraway place foreign to the majority of Elorians.

I'd meet the kings at the harbor and then ride by carriage through the city, greeting cheering throngs of citizens until we passed the main gates of Tor-Kenner's mansion. It was going to feel like a parade—which would be great if only I were part of the audience instead of the main attraction.

I was to have no interaction with the kings. I was only there for show.

A troupe of Olourians were first to exit the ship. I recognized the furry four-foot tall species from The Faces of Eloria. Shortly after, the Driars emerged. They were tall like humans, but with reptilian features.

Before I could see Keiran and Dunek exit the vessel, Stanjah said it was time for us to head to our carriage. As our carriage pulled up, I was surprised to see that it resembled the horse-drawn carriages of an era long past that I read about in history books during my time in Hemley. The only difference was that there were no wheels. Rather, the carriage hovered half a foot above ground with Elorian horses in tandem formation, neatly in front. They truly were magnificent creatures. Guards helped me and Stanjah into the sleek carriage where we sat side-by-side.