40: Escape

7/24/3028

"No sudden movements or we'll rip it," I said, trying to squeeze myself into the cloak in front of Martin.

"Don't worry," Elossai reassured me, "it won't rip."

"Magic, remember?" Martin whispered into my ear.

"Are you ready for this?" I asked.

"Born ready."

Elossai had her hands clasped together and looked at us with worry, reluctant for us to go.

"We'll be fine, Elossai," I said. I took a deep breath before activating the locket. Immediately the fog surrounded us in a spinning fury, our surroundings fading in a haze before the chocolate brown cliffs I'd been taken to last time appeared with clarity.

"Whoa," Martin whispered. "Where are we?"

I didn't respond. We turned around slowly with small pivots of our feet as if we were waddling penguins. Rahaiwen was already here, waiting for us.

"I am pleased to see that you have come." Rahaiwen said with a sleek voice. "I see that you have brought the child's brother."

"Let's just cut to the chase here." Martin's voice low and gruff. Rahaiwen narrowed her eyes then tilted her head. "Business. Let's talk business," Martin said.

"Certainly." She flashed a wry smile. "The arrangement is simple—once we have Sye-Liene Anmyn, your sister shall be released to you."

"How do I know you won't hurt Sye-Liene?"

"I assure you we will not. She would be useless to us if she were dead." Rahaiwen's willful enunciation of 'dead' sent a chill down my spine.

"Where's Katie?" I asked.

Rahaiwen looked behind her and extended her arm gracefully. "Razelle, bring her." From the trees, the redheaded Ra approached us, holding Katie's hand. Katie seemed to be wearing an oversized uni-elk cloak of her own.

"Katie!" Martin cried.

We shuffled toward her as fast as we could without tripping. We reached our arms out to embrace her, but our hands went right through her like a phantom.

"What is this?" I frowned.

"You are not here, Anmyn," said Razelle. "You can't touch her, just as we cannot touch you."

"Katie, are you okay? Have they hurt you?" Martin asked Katie, ignoring Razelle.

"No, they didn't. I'm okay, but I miss you. They said you'll come get me soon," Katie whispered. There were tears in her eyes, but she looked healthy and her cheeks were rosy. At the very least they had made sure that she was well-fed and clean.

"We're coming for you Katie, okay?" Martin whispered back.

"Razelle, you may take her now," Rahaiwen ordered.

Razelle nodded, then led Katie away.

"Hey!" Martin shouted after Razelle, but we all knew that we were powerless to stop her.

"I have kept my word," Rahaiwen said, gently folding her hands in front of her, "You have seen the girl, Anmyn. What is your decision?"

"When and where?" I said.

"Ell, what are you doing?" Martin whispered harshly in my ear.

"It's the only way," I answered.

Rahaiwen took a few steps forward and stood only an arm's length in front of us. "You shall journey to the territory of the Todaji. Go to Tau City. Once you have arrived in Tau, make contact once more and I will give you further instructions." She gestured gracefully. "We will be here awaiting you on the night of the new moon."