12: Daybreak

7/5/3028

It was still dark outside when I woke up. Perhaps I had vortex-lag or maybe I had too much on my mind, but it was most likely because I had another troubling dream.

I slipped my cloak on, then looked to see if Elossai was still asleep. She slept peacefully. I smiled, then quietly ducked out of the tent.

A multitude of stars lit up the night sky—so many more than I had ever seen in the skies of Hemley. I inhaled deeply through my nose, allowing the clean morning air to fill my lungs.

The number of stars weren't the only thing vastly different from Hemley. The sliver of a crescent moon was three times the size of any moon I've seen before. I stood there for a minute, marveling at the moon before choosing a random direction and beginning to walk. I've always found that a leisurely stroll eased my anxious mind.

I figured I'd walk ten minutes in one direction and double back, but I hadn't walked very far before I heard some odd noises. It was a metallic swish and clang accompanied by the sound of a man grunting. There was an unmistakable rhythm to it all. Moments later, Keiran came into view, practicing with a sword.

I hid behind a nearby tree and admired his discipline for waking up so early in the morning to practice. Keiran's focus on his task could have been the only explanation for him not noticing me lurking around, watching him. Maybe the routine intrigued me, maybe I found him interesting, maybe I admired his dedication, or his physique, or all of the above.

I should leave before he notices me.

In my haste to make a retreat, I tripped on the root of the tree and fell face down, bracing myself with my trusty left hand.

"Oww!" I yelped. A small amount of blood slowly began to pool in my hand.

"Ellis?" Keiran stood in front of me—sweaty and with a towel slung around his broad shoulders.

"Oh... Hi there." I tried to sound casual, though I don't know why since there is nothing casual about roaming alone in the dark.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

He helped me to my feet. "What are you doing out here?"

"Um... I wanted to go for a morning stroll... and forage." My eyes shifted to the side. I immediately regretted saying that. "For mushrooms." If I could have put my palm on my face without Keiran noticing, I would have.

Keiran chuckled—he didn't buy it for a second. "You shouldn't be wandering by yourself. Have you been out here long?"

Oh no. He knows I've been watching him.

I was stumped for words.

"Ellis, you're bleeding." He held my hand with my palm up and immediately used his towel to wrap around my wounded hand.

"Thanks," I said.

He had a concerned expression on his face. "Do you need to talk?"

"I don't know if it's just one thing that's on my mind. There's so much that's confusing."

"There is something in particular that is on your mind. I can tell."

"How?"

"You wander when you're in thought."

"What? How do you know I was wandering?"

"The same way I know you weren't foraging for mushrooms." A playful crease appeared at the corner of his lips. "Nevermind about that—something is troubling you and you probably need to share."

Right at that moment there was only one thing on my mind. "I had a dream."

"A nightmare?"

"No... I mean... I'm not sure. That's the thing though, I'm always unsure of everything—just like my dream."

"What did you dream about?"

"Well," I started. "I was standing in a gray room with no doors or windows. No one was in the room but me. Then, three mirrors appeared out of nowhere—one ahead of me and two behind me. I tried standing in front of each but my reflection wouldn't appear in any of them." I rubbed my arm sheepishly. "That's it."

"Do you think it has any significant meaning?"

"I've had this dream before, so I think it must mean something. I guess... Maybe there's too many unknowns in my life."

"That could be."

"Back at the restaurant, do you remember when I asked you if you knew me?"

"I remember," he answered.

"Do you know me?"

He smiled—his teeth straight and white. "Yes."

"How well?"

"I know that you wander when you have something on your mind." He smiled and that put me at ease. "I know you, and you knew me. You may look different and go by a new name, but you are still the same person.

I understand that everything that has happened must be hard for you to understand and accept, and it's only natural for you to be suspicious of us—of me. I know that trust is earned through actions and not just words. But know that I will help Martin find his sister and help you to remember who you are," he said, looking at me with sincerity in his eyes.

I wanted to cry. Not because I was sad, but out of relief.

I had so many questions that I wanted to ask him right there, but I knew it wasn't the time or place and things would be revealed to me in its own time.

I glanced up at the slowly-brightening sky and allowed the wind to dry my glassy eyes.