27: Health Exam

7/12/3028

"Son," Dunek started, "you have done well to find Liene."

"Thank you, father," he answered. "Have you been well?"

"Yes. quite." Dunek said.

"You received the message about Liene's condition?" Keiran asked.

"Yes, though I'm unaware of the severity."

I found it a little odd that Keiran and his father spoke to each other in such a formal manner and I also thought it was strange that he had the message relayed to Dunek instead of telling him personally. Dunek stole a quick glance outside of the window of our private corin carriage. He sat opposite to Keiran and I.

"She has total memory loss and her appearance is somewhat different," said Keiran.

My palms felt sweaty, a combination of wearing gloves in the summer and my jittery nerves. The thought of having to show my face and see the look of shock and disappointment on Dunek's face made me panic.

"The first stop is the health center, is it not?" Dunek removed his crown, revealing his full head of wavy, gray hair.

"It is," Keiran answered.

Dunek turned to me suddenly. "And how do you feel about that, Liene?"

I wasn't sure if I should answer confidently or honestly. I exhaled. "To be honest, I really don't like being examined by doctors," I said.

I was astonished when Dunek started laughing loudly. "Nor do I!" He looked out the window, his shoulders back and chin high. "The town is taking good form. I'm certain the refined corin and metal we've brought this trip will be put to good use. Liene, your servants in Incus packed some of your belongings for us to bring to you. We all know how much you take pride in your possessions—they should be in your room by the time we return to Tor-Kenner's mansion."

"Thank you, Anmus." I smiled widely underneath my veil.

Things. With it I could gauge what I liked—or at least what Sye-Liene liked. It might show what was important to her, or at least educate me on how to be a convincing Sye-Liene.

The health center had temporarily closed the third floor to citizens and all staff asked to leave the third floor in response to our arrival. Our company and the medical professionals expressly brought from Incus were the only ones allowed access. Incus wanted to eliminate the spread of rumors and went to the extent of bringing staff that worked directly with the Ankin royal family.

A woman entered the waiting room dressed in white pants and a loose, white tunic that fell past her knees. The right sleeve of her tunic was crimson red. "My Anmians, we are ready for Sye-Liene Anmyn," she said, bowing nearly at a ninety-degree angle.

I bravely followed the nurse into a separate room adjacent to the waiting room and reminded myself that this was only a checkup and nothing horrible was going to happen to me. The setup seemed standard enough—as in there were no sharp or menacing looking instruments to be seen. A patient bed was in a corner on a forty-five-degree angle and there was a computing table nearby.

The nurses were, at first, shocked by my appearance when I removed my veil. One nurse was sent out to the waiting room before returning, reassuring the others that everything was indeed alright.

An hour later they had finished examining me. They pretty much checked everything that could be checked. I had a full body scan, height and weight check, and—much to my displeasure—a gynecological exam.

We only had to wait a short while before the nurse returned with my results.

She held a few sheets of paper neatly in front of her. "The good news is that she is in great health; top physical condition."