Chapter 9

A little after noon, Charles had called too said he'd gotten caught up with something and if we could drive up to meet with him instead of having him pick us up.

After what felt like a three-hour drive of Claire talking my ears off,  we finally got to the little town where we are meeting with Charles for lunch, it's beautiful; full of Georgian buildings and perfectly trimmed green gardens.

"Common dear, we're already late." Claire calls for me from the entrance of what could only be described as a tavern.

"Oh, and who's fault is that?" I ask, catching up to her. "Because I was ready on tim- Oh, my gosh. What are they doing here?" I interrupt myself.

"Not so eager to be on time now, ah?" She asks noticing my obviously panicked look.

"Claire, wait." I whisper, tugging on her cardigan to keep her from walking.

"Dramatic child, walk." She says retrieving the fabric from my fingers. "They've noticed we're here now, smile and don't slouch." Claire pokes me in the back causing me to jump.

"Claire!" Miles practically jogs towards her with his arms open for a hug.

Behind him, Charles is getting up from his seat to greet us and Jeremy is already standing up in all of his tight-button up-shirt glory.

"I didn't know we were having company." I whisper to Charles when he pulls me in for a hug.

"It's just Miles and Jeremy. You look very lovely, by the way." He says patting my back, causing me to roll my eyes at his very subjective point of view.

"Jeremy." He smiles at me at the sound of his name.

"Please." He says, pulling the chair in order for me to take a seat.

I smile back at him and proceed to do as expected. He then takes the seat to my right and whispers "You do look lovely."

"Charles said 'very'". Claire says clearing her throat, which causes Jeremy to laugh and me, to turn the shade of a tomato.

"Can you not?" I say to her through greeted teeth.

"Why? He agrees, don't you Jeremy?"

"Yes, ma'am." He answers Claire, turning into a more subtle shade of tomato.

"Who's hungry?" Miles says clapping his hands and taking the attention from Jeremy and me.

The waiter then is called to our table and takes our orders. We eat and everyone but me, drinks.

Miles shares stories about my childhood and how every time he visited, I always asked for presents from his latest trip. Sounds about right, I say to myself. But I don't agree with him out loud on my materialistic side developing at such a young age.

Then, he proceeds to tells tales of my mom and dad. The definition of young love, in Miles own words.

"They were soulmates." He says looking lost in thought and that, we can all agree on.

They met in college.

My mom never admitted it, but my dad always described it as love at first sight.

"Of course, who wouldn't fall in love just by looking at her? Look at her!" My dad would always say, causing my mom to roll her eyes playfully at him.

Their marriage wasn't perfect, but they loved each other in fortune and in flaws.

"Blair?" Jeremy tugs at my elbow, pulling me from the deep of my thoughts.