•8

Y/N's POV

I grabbed the bowl that I used earlier, and poured the Despairios into it slowly.
"Hey.. I'm sorry..." I heard a voice behind me say. I turn around to see Rantaro with his thumbs in his pants pockets, looking off to his side.
"Sorry? For what?" I ask, trying to speak louder than the crinkling of me putting the clip back onto the bag.
"For.. yknow, kinda opening up to you all at once. I didn't mean to dump that onto you." He shrugged and looked at me with a painfully forced smile.
"You don't have to apologize, 'Taro. It's good to open up to people, you shouldn't go through something that burdensome alone. Plus, we're best friends.. I don't want you to feel bad, okay?" I tried not to look him in the eye when I said best friends, afterall, I felt a closer connection to him than that... who knows, he might have a special lie detecting skill like Ouma.
"Thanks, N/N, it means a lot." As I went to go grab the milk from the fridge, I stopped.
"Wait.. have you had breakfast yet? I can get you some cereal if you'd like." I offered with a smile.
"Huh? Oh, it's fine. I ate earlier this morning, before I went to the library. Thanks though." He gave me a dorky thumbs up.
"When did you wake up anyway? Nobody knew where you were earlier." I felt my hand shake as I gripped the handle on the fridge and opened it.
"I was awake pretty early... I think I headed to the library right before the Monokuma announcement." He explained.
"Oh... okay.." I grab the milk and shakily put it on the counter.
"Y/N... you're shaking.. a lot. Are you okay?" I hear him walk over to me with worry.
"Y-yeah.. I dunno, I guess I was just worried. Since you didn't answer your door even after I pretty much yelled.. I..." I find myself drumming my finger on the counter. "I thought you kinda got... dead." I couldn't bring myself to say the word 'killed'.
"Look... that's not gonna happen, okay?" He turns me to face him by grabbing my shoulders. "The door.. the mastermind thing, I'm gonna stop it. You, me, and everyone else aren't gonna go through with this stupid killing game of Monokuma's... I promise." I look at his reassuring green eyes, and nod. If this were a cliche rom-com, this would be the moment I spit out my feelings for him, or kiss him... but I couldn't find the courage to do either of those things, so I just did what I could, and hugged him once more. He let out a small chuckle as he patted my head. "Am I really that cozy?" He teased. I couldn't bring myself to say anything else, so I just held him tighter. "Fair enough." He hugged me back. I ended breaking it off with a sigh.
"Alright... enough with this cheesy stuff, I'm starving." I poured the milk into my cereal, tossed the carton back into the fridge and grabbed a spoon. "You'll wait for me to finish up, right? I want to at least know what your master plan is." I picked up my bowl and waddled out of the kitchen.
"Sounds fine, just don't take too long." He followed after me as we sat down in our usual spot. We scanned the room and saw Kokichi at the entrance to the dining hall.
"Oh, hey Kokichi.. what are you doing here?" Rantaro questioned him.
"Hi Amami-kun and Y/N-chan! Momota-kun thinks he's better at Hide and Go Seek, but I'm gonna prove him wrong!" His eyes locked in on my cereal. "Wait.. are you guys gonna share your food again? Woah, and with the same spoon!"
"Wait, what?" I raised an eyebrow at him.
"You guys are such cuties! I bet Shirogane-Chan is already planning ship names!" He snickered to himself as he skipped over.
"Calm down, Ouma." Rantaro shook his head. "How stupidly confident was Kaito, though?" He gazed up at the mini-dictator with a dumb grin planted on his face.
"Super stupid! I thought he had a god complex or something! It was so funny, Amami-kun! Next time, you better be there!" They laughed like a bunch of little kids, until I spoke up.
"Wait, are you guys friends?" I thought out loud.
"Well obviously, Y/N-chan! Amami-kun and I are besties!" I look up at 'Amami-kun with a pout'.
"I thought we were best friends Amami-kun" I puff my cheeks as I spit out the words.
"Did you just call me A-"
"Y/N-chan, you guys aren't allowed to be best friends, you already have a label!" Kokichi crosses his arms.
"Label? What are you talking about?" I cross my arms at him as well.
"You guys have the sweethearts thing or something! Yknow, the 'pfft-nah-we-aint-crushing-we're-just-two-young-dummies-who-totally-wanna-grind-on-eachother' thing!" I just stared at him after his extensively specific description.
"Guys, guys. I've come to a conclusion." We both look at him with intrigued expressions. "You're both good friends of mine, but in different ways. See, Kokichi and I are like really dumb brothers, and Y/N and I are like really dumb best friends." It could've been worse... I could've been sister-zoned.
"Well that's not fair! I wanna be best friends with Y/N-chan too!" Ouma protested.
"What? Me?" I tilt my head in confusion.
"No, that speck of dust over there." The grape teases. "Of course I mean you!"
"In that case, why don't we just all stay in a squad thing." Rantaro suggested. "We need a cool name though."
"Oh, so like how some friend groups call themselves the three musketeers?" I ask.
"Yeah, but with a less lame name... like.." Kokichi put his index finger to his chin. "I've got it! The Drunk Toddlers!" He exclaims. Rantaro was clearly holding in a fit of laughter.
"That's... scarily accurate." I nod to show my agreement with the idea.
"So we're seriously doing this..? God, that's fantastic." The avocado haired boy chuckles to himself.
"Hell yeah!-" Kokichi's face goes pale as we hear loud footsteps run towards the dining hall. "Momota-kun!" He whisper yells and then runs off. As soon as he's out of sight, Kaito barges into the room, as if waiting for the moment he was gone.
"Oh, hey guys! Nice to see someone finally found Rantaro." He gives me an enthusiastic thumbs up as he scans the room. I smile back in response. "Have you seen Kokichi?" He asks us. I shake my head to show him I hadn't.
"Nah, sorry." Rantaro shrugged. He was pretty good at lying.
"Damn.. okay! See you around!" With that, Kaito ran out of the room as Kokichi came back into sight.
"Gotta go find a hiding place, have fun toddler 2 and 3!" He pointed to me when saying 2 and to Rantaro 3. It was expected he'd appoint himself as toddler 1. I let out a snicker and wave him off. I quickly eat the rest of my cereal and then get up, stretching.
"What were we gonna do again..." I mutter to myself. "Right, your plan! Lemme hear all about it." I look at him, not bothering to clear my dishes. He stands up and signals for me to follow him.
"Cmon', we're gonna go where someone won't eavesdrop — is your dorm okay?" He faces me, walking backwards towards the door.
"Sounds good." We make our way to the dormitory and instead of letting me unlock the door, he does it himself with his own key. "Hey, how'd you do that?" I ask him.
"Oh, the keys and locks are all identical, so you can get into anyone's room with your own key." He states.
That would've been good to know this morning.
I follow him into the room while tracing my hand along the wall. He sits down at the foot of my head while I lean on the backboard of the bed.
"So, what's this super amazing plan of yours to get rid of Monokuma?" I ask, twiddling my fingers on the pillow.
"Well, I guess I'm not gonna try to get rid of Monokuma. My goal is more to expose the person controlling Monokuma." He explains.
"So... the mastermind?" I ask.
"Yeah, if that's what you want to call them." He confirms.
"How do you know it's not me?" I tilt my head, crossing my arms.
"I don't think someone can really fake fainting... besides, if you put sleeping meds in the food, I would've fainted too."
"Fair enough.. yknow, maybe you're the Ultimate Detective." I realize we already know one of those. "Actually... maybe the Ultimate Analyst." I cover up my mistake to the best of my ability.
"Maybe, I doubt it though." He chuckles a bit. "Anyway, there's probably some sort of extra weapon in the mastermind's room to hurt us with. Or, maybe they'll go there for refuge when the time limit ends. In any case, at midnight tomorrow, the mastermind'll probably go to that room. Since there's no other entrances, our best bet is to wait at the hidden door for them to appear."
"What about when they do appear? Then what? Knowing who the mastermind is won't save us." Though my statement was blunt, I knew now wasn't the time to choke on my words.
"Then.. I'm gonna kill them." He closes his eyes, waiting for my reaction.
"What?! What good will that do?" I protest, trying not to raise my voice too loudly.
"If they're dead, they can't control Monokuma. Even though it's drastic, we have no other options." He looks at me, feeling guilt.
"But what if they expect this kind of thing? What if you die? Then what?" I ask him, feeling years form in the corners of my eyes.
"Then.. I'll die. But that's not gonna happen." He shakes his head, probably slightly unsure as well.
"You can't be so sure..." I put my hand over my mouth. "Let me go with you, then! We'll protect eachother!" I exclaim.
"Y/N, I don't think that's a good idea." He begins to crawl towards me on the bed. ...don't take it out of context.
"Good idea my ass! I know about it, so.. I have the right to come with you." I look at him with a pleading look. "Please."
"Fine.. just, don't look at me like that. You've gotta be safe too, if someone dies, the game'll start. Not to mention, I don't know what I'd do if you died. It'd definitely be rough." He said. He didn't really show much concern or emotion most of the time, but these past few hours, he seemed to be opening up to me more.
"Well, then I guess we're both in this together then. So, is there anything we can do to prepare?" I ask.
"I don't think so... I guess we have some free time for now, though." Rantaro said. "Wanna hang out some more?" He asked me.
"Sure... actually, since you and Kokichi are apparently besties, why don't we all hang out?" I clap my hands together while I mention my suggestion. "Unless, you're suspicious of him, of course." I add.
"Nah, it's too obvious. But... if we're together while we all hang out, he'll probably just annoy you.. so, let's just keep it to us two, okay?" He smiles at me, seeming more genuine rather than dismissive.
"Alright, but what now?" I ponder for a moment, but then look at him, my smile getting smaller.
"Are.. you okay N/N?" He looks at me. I grab his forearm, trying not to turn bright red.
"There's something I wanna ask you... about your sisters. Is that okay?" I twiddle my fingers on his sweatshirt just as I did while against the pillow earlier.
"Uh..." he looks down at my hand. I can see him fiddling with the bed sheets. "Yeah, sure." I guess we both had our nervous habits.
"Alright... where have you gone? To search for them, I mean." We sat cross legged, looking at eachother like a bunch of idiots.
"Well.. let's see... there's Japan, France, Canada, I've seen a bit of Colombia.. and I was planning on heading to Brazil and America soon." He says, fiddling with the bed sheets more than usual.
"That's.. a lot of places... maybe you're the Ultimate Traveler?" He snickered at my guess. "You've had help, right?" I ask.
"Well, my parents obviously supported me in finding them, but mostly just told me to give up because, well, they could literally be anywhere.. yknow, stuff like that. I haven't found them yet.. but I think I'm getting close... hopefully." He tried not to make eye contact, but it seemed staring at the ceiling wasn't working out very well for him either.
"So no one's ever gone out to help you?" I begin to flick at his sleeves, getting bored with drumming my fingers.
"Well, my mom went with me a few times.. but I'm pretty sure she came for the sake of entertainment, though." He frowned a bit at the mention of his mother.. sensitive topic, probably.
"Hey.. when we get outta here... lemme go on your boat rides with you. I haven't got much waiting for me at home... so, maybe I'll have more fun with you! Yknow, traveling the world with a goal of finding your long-lost sisters... sounds like something out of a movie." I tugged on his shirt, forcing him to look at me.
"I'd like that. Hopefully it won't take too long to get outta here once we get rid of the mastermind." I hadn't noticed how close we really were until he faced me. Once more, I hugged him tight, wrapping my arms around his neck. I heard him chuckle as he hugged back hesitantly.
"Why are you so touchy? I'm not complaining, just.. yeah." He mumbled the last part.
"Why aren't you?" Operation avoiding the question is a success.
"That's... a long story." He tells me with a sigh. I guess he's been through even more than what he's already told me. "I'll tell you once we get out of here, okay?"
"Kay' Taro..." I felt myself suddenly become drowsy. Before I could find the energy to tell him I was tired, I had already accepted the fact I was drifting off into the world of sleep. I break away from the hug and collapse into his chest, which was now acting as my pillow. The last thing I felt was his chin resting on my head before I fell asleep.