Chapter 6

The movie finished and we went to the kitchen for dinner.

"So, Y/n, how long have you been going to Midtown Tech?" May asked as we ate chicken alfredo around the small table. The apartment felt cozy and calm.

"Today was my first day, actually. I lived in California before that."

"Really? Was it nice there?"

"Yeah, it really was. I do miss it sometimes, but I'd definitely rather be in New York."

"Why's that?"

"I don't really know. I just feel more... free here I guess."

May nodded as Peter looked between the two of us. We finished eating with a little more small talk and did the dishes.

"Thanks for everything, Peter." I said, grabbing my bag. May had gone to her room and we stood in front of the door. "I really enjoyed it, but I should get going." It was nine o'clock. The sun had set and the streetlamps were on outside. "Oh by the way, your friend Ned..."

"Yeah?"

"Does he know? About the, umm..."

He cringed, "Yeah he kind of found out by accident about a week ago. I really didn't mean for him to find out and I'm so sorry-"

"Actually, I was hoping he had. It's better to share a secret with one person before it gets out some other way." My face fell as I remembered what happened that day. How could I forget? Everyone else had, though. But by force, not by will.

"I can tell that brings up some bad memories. You want to talk about it."

"No, it's nothing, don't worry."

"Y/n," Peter's safe softened as he looked into my eyes, trying to study my emotions. Butterflies did loops in my stomach, "It's not nothing. Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?"

I sighed, "Okay." I dropped my bag as Peter draped an arm over my shoulders as we moved to the floor in front of the couch, leaning against it. I could hear Peter's heart beating in his chest.

"When I was about ten, I still went to a public school. I had a few friends, but no one knew who I was. No one could- can- know. And then one day, my dad and I got into a fight before school. I wanted all my friends to know who I was. They deserved to know, or at least, I thought so. I found it unfair that they could tell everyone about how cool their lives were, but I had to hide everything about me from them.

"So when I got to school that day, I was mad; mad that I had to hide who I was. Each little thing that happened that day just made me more infuriated. I don't know why. I was just a kid, wanting to fit in I guess." Peter's arm tightened around me. "And by lunch, I just felt all this rage and I guess I couldn't keep it bottled up anymore. That was the day I discovered my powers. A giant black orb formed around me and blasted all of them back. I told all of them as they were recovering the whole truth. But the looks of fear and hatred in their eyes-" A tear rolled down the side of my face as Peter turned towards me. He cupped my cheek, brushing the tear away with his thumb. For a few seconds, we stayed there, like that.

And then I kissed him.

I pulled away almost immediately, opening my eyes again. His were wide as he looked at me. "I- I'm sorry." I said, hastily standing and grabbing my bag once more. I walked out the door, closing it behind me, rode the elevator down, and walked out of the building. My face was burning red as I walked out onto the sidewalk, only to see a black Audi on the street in front of me.

But as I approached, the door opened and my dad walked out.

"What is it, dad?" I asked, exasperated.

"I was picking you up from the only location I thought you'd- Honey, are you alright?" His voice filled with concern.

I wiped the tear marks and the smudged mascara off my face and said, "Yeah, I'm fine."

"No, you're not, but we'll talk about that later. I came here because I got a privacy alert on my phone. I think someone hacked us."

"Oh. Who?"

"I don't know yet, but I'm gonna need your phone to run some tests."

"What? You can't just take my phone!"

"Only for tonight. If I can fix this, you'll get it back tomorrow."

"Okay fine." I said, handing him my phone as we got into the car and Happy drove off. My dad gave me many concerned glances on the drive home, but when we got there, I ran off to my room before he could ask what happened.

Peter's POV:

A single tear fell down Y/n's cheek and I turned to face her, wiping it away with my thumb. I stared into her gorgeous eyes, appreciating her beauty. I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to always be lying through your teeth.

And in that second, I saw her eyes close as her lips crashed against my own.

Her lips were soft and smooth and as soon as I felt them, I felt her pull away. My eyes remained open, shock, the only thing that stopped me from kissing her back. Lord knew I wanted to. I really did. "I- I'm sorry." She rushed out as she stood out, took her bag, and left. I sat there, my mouth agape and my heart pounding.

That was my first kiss.

I wished she had stayed later that night. Or even let me kiss her once more. Or tell her she had nothing to be sorry about. I got ready to go to bed, but once I got there, I lied awake, my mind racing.

Why would she ever kiss me? I was hardly the most desirable. But even so, she did. For a second, I felt her lips on mine again. So there I lay, staring at the ceiling in the dark, my heart feeling empty.