Chapter 14

I lay in bed next to Peter, wide awake, just as I had been the night before. It was around 7:30 in the morning and the sun streaked in from the window. All night my stomach had been filled with dread, for I'd be going home today and I'd have to face the music. "Morning baby." Peter said, his voice husky with sleep. It sent shivers through my body.

"Did you call me baby?" I asked, turning to face him.

"I- uh-" He started, but my lips on his cut him off.

"I liked it." He smiled, wrapping his arms around me. I snuggled into his warmth and for a few seconds, all my worries went away. But as they always did, they came back again. As if he could sense it, he pulled me closer, planting gentle kisses on my temple.

We got up and I got changed into yet another pair of black jeans (I had a lot, okay?), an AC/DC graphic tee, my combat boots, and I clipped a silver chain around my neck. I didn't put on much makeup and I brushed my teeth. Peter went in the bathroom next, coming out wearing dark blue jeans and a Midtown Tech hoodie. I had forgotten that school was today.

"Are you going back now or after school?" Peter asked, grabbing his backpack as we headed to the kitchen.

I grabbed mine, saying, "It would probably be better to do it now."

"Okay." He said as we ate breakfast.

"Morning." May said as we grabbed some eggs.

"Morning." We replied, sitting down at the table. I quickly finished mine, putting my plate in the dishwasher. Peter finished his breakfast shortly after and we said goodbye to May. We rode the elevator tot he bottom floor and walked out of his apartment.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" Peter asked, grabbing my hand as we stood in front of the door.

"Hopefully. Bye Peter." I said, giving him one last kiss as I headed in one direction and him in another.

I took the subway back to my area and eventually got to the front door of my house. I took a deep breath, unlocking and pushing open the door.

"Young lady, where the fuck have you been!?" Here we go. "You ran away and went somewhere without telling anybody!" My dad stood, arms crossed in front of me, his face tired and full of anger.

"The point of sneaking out is keeping it a secret." I said.

"Where did you go?"

"A friend's house."

"Peter's?"

"Maybe."

"Why?"

"Why? Why? You can't lock me in my room like I'm an animal! I'm fifteen! I can make my own decisions and take care of myself! You can't control every single thing I do and I'm fucking sick of you thinking you can!"

There were about ten seconds of tense silence as the words I said lingered in the air.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. It's just- you're all I have left. I don't want to lose you too."

I pulled him into a hug and he held me close to him. "I love you dad."

"I love you, too honey. And I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too."

We stayed there like that for a few minutes. I did miss him. A lot. There was a time where my dad was my whole world. And now I have Peter, too.