Chapter 17

When I arrived home later that evening, it was raining. Like, really raining. The storm drains were full and the wind was strong enough the limbs of trees had fallen. I closed the door, fighting against the wind. I turned around to the foyer, to see my dad waiting there for me, arms crossed. "You got into a fight?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Dude was being a dick. So I punched him."

He squinted at me for a second before saying, "All right. That's fine."

I blinked. "Really?" I had expected him to be pissed.

"Yeah."

"Okay."

I headed upstairs and realized Peter had texted me.

Did u get home safe?

I grinned at the screen like an idiot.

Yeah I'm home dw :)

I put down my phone, lying down on my bed, getting a couple seconds to breathe before there was a knock on my door.

"Yeah?"

"Honey, I have something for you."

"What?" I sat up again.

"Come to the lab." He said, smiling.

I got up as fast as I could, following on his heels down to the lab. I opened the door, my jaw dropping. It was a suit.

"It's bulletproof and fire resistant. I kept the bandanna, but added a mic to it. Now it's not done yet, I still have to hook up AI/n, but-"

I cut him off with a tight hug. "Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

For the next hour, I pestered my dad with questions about the suit. I tried it on, the material seamlessly fitting around my body. I tested my powers with it, the flexible material easy to move around in.

"Now again, it's not done so you'll just have to be patient for now."

"Why did you give it to me if it wasn't finished?" Yes, I was stoked about the suit, but this wasn't like him.

"Because."

"Dad, you know that's not an answer."

"Well that's the answer you're going to get."

"Alright then." I smiled, hugging him again before heading upstairs. But the smile didn't last long. Something was definitely up. What? That, I didn't know yet. But sure as hell, I was going to find out.

The day later, I pestered my dad to death about the suit. Why was he giving it to me, especially with it unfinished. But all he would say was because. There had to be more of a reason than that, right? And on top of that, he'd been acting weird: Doing my chores, paying for new clothes- Whatever was going on, I really needed to figure it out.

I was on my way downstairs to search for food I could eat, but once I reached the bottom, I saw that my dad had already beaten me to it. Two dishes of pasta and cesar salad were on the dining table, my dad bringing the drinks over. "Dad, what are you doing? You never make any food for us."

"You looked like you needed it."

There had to be a reason for all of this. "But why? Why are you suddenly doing all these things? First it was the suit, then the chores and the clothes, and now this. What's going on? Why now?"

"Because, Y/n."

"Because is not an answer! Tell me the truth!"

"Y/n!"

I flinched back as his voice filled the room. I grabbed the food off the table, avoiding my dad's eyes as I headed back upstairs to my room. I ate quickly, calling Peter.

"Hey!" He said, his gorgeous face filling the screen.

"Hey." I said, smiling.

"What's up?"

Lie. "Nothing really. I just missed you."

"Baby, it's been one day."

"Yeah, but I still missed you."

He smiled and I wished I could kiss him. "Well there's one more day before we can go back to school."

I groaned, lying down on my bed. "That's one day too long."

He laughed. "What if I come by?"

"I'd love that." I smiled, biting my lip.

"I can be there in ten."

"Then I'll see you soon."

He smiled, "Alright. Bye." He hung up and I frantically cleaned my room. And, as promised, there was a knock on my window ten minutes later.

"Hey!" I said, opening the window as he climbed through. Apparently the rain had stopped because there wasn't water all over my floor as he stood up and I closed the window again.

His hands immediately went to my waist, sending my heart into a gallop. I lifted the bottom of his mask and he kissed me hard. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

"You done missing me?" He joked, pulling away, but his lips were still close to mine.

"I'll never be done missing you." I smiled as his lips crashed against mine again. His hand caressed the side of my face as I pulled away from him. "So there's something weird going on."

"What's up?" He asked, sitting down next to me on my bed, planting a kiss on my temple.

"Well my dad made me a suit."

"That's great!"

"Yeah, but it's weird. Like, after years of me asking, he does it now. And he's been buying me stuff and doing my chores and he made dinner and he never makes dinner."

"But what's weird about that?"

"It's weird because it's all happening now, all of a sudden."

"Baby, don't take this the wrong way, but could you be paranoid?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but stopped myself. Was he right? Maybe I was being paranoid. I mean, it wasn't like it was a crime to make dinner or buy stuff for your daughter, right? But it still felt weird.

"Maybe you're right." I sighed. "It's just a lot, you know?" He grabbed my hand, kissing the back of it. I smiled softly and said, "It's probably nothing."

But it still felt like something was up.