8 | RAGING CRAVINGS

When Zoya finished with  the Ark boxes and returned to the house, she had a message waiting from  Foster

When Zoya finished with  the Ark boxes and returned to the house, she had a message waiting from  Foster. They'd picked up a body, and the family wanted a quick burial, so  she'd need to work on Sunday. At least it'd get her away from Roman.  She'd avoided the subject, and he'd not mentioned kicking her out again,  which she attributed to the cooking. He'd already eaten half the pie.  Even without Mariana's help, or having lived with Charamel, Zoya could  tell just from the soiled pages of the recipe book, which selections  were favorites.

She'd watched him drive away in the new truck and assumed he'd return before dinner.  

The men who came to the  house today and construction plans she'd seen on the bedside table told  her there was about to be more activity than she wanted. But if she  complained, he might kick her out, meals or no meals. Dealing with the  mess and strangers would be a challenge, but she had no choice.

After locking her  bedroom door, she pulled the paint can from behind the chair. More  cooking meant more groceries. She'd done a meal-plan and market list for  the next two weeks. She removed the lid and peered inside. Her family  picture had always been on top, but now Dad was first. An odd feeling  crawled up her spine. Had Roman been in her room and found her hiding  place? He had no right. This was her stuff. She counted the bundles. All there. She was just being paranoid.

But a new location might  be in order in case he did search. Under the mattress? No. He'd look  there for sure. She stepped to the bathroom. The Catch had an  episode where drug dealers hid their goods in a plastic bag immersed in  the toilet tank. The thought made her queasy. She opened the cabinet  below the sink and spied a box of tampons. He'd never check there. She  made the transfer, placed the remaining tampons on top, and slid the  box back in its spot.

If he had snooped, then  why hadn't he said something? Her heart hammered. What if he thought the  money was stolen and had gone to the police? No. If so, they would have  already been here. Maybe he was waiting. But for what? Her mind raced.

The sound of a car door  got her attention. She peeked out the window. He was back earlier than  expected. Before he came in, she was in the kitchen. "Nice truck."

"Thanks."

She shoved a paper  toward him. "Here's a list of meals. If there's anything special you  want me to add, tell me so I can get the ingredients."

He barely looked at the sheet. "I need a drink."

From the cabinet he took  whiskey and poured into a glass she already had sitting out. Drink in  one hand and the bottle in the other, he walked to the back porch, sat, and  propped his feet onto the railing. He stayed that way until she called  him for dinner.

Something was going on  with him, but she didn't know what. He didn't speak during the meal and  she wanted to tell him she knew he'd been poking around in her room, but  his mood warned it wasn't a good idea.