31 | LAST HOPE

Zoya slid the blouses across the rod and wondered why she'd agree to a shopping trip

Zoya slid the blouses across the rod and wondered why she'd agree to a shopping trip. Easy answer. Delphine's treat for Zoya finishing the paintings of Roman.

The woman got her way about everything. Plus, Delphine's late night visitor had stopped visiting, and that had put her in a foul mood.

"Ooh, look at this. It would be beautiful on you, Chere. Sexy even."

Zoya eyed the black embroidered lace mesh peasant top with a sheer midriff. She'd never worn anything so revealing, but had to admit, it appealed to her. Maybe some of Delphine's style was rubbing off. "It is pretty."

Delphine shoved it toward her. "You must try it on. It will be perfect with either skinny jeans or a skirt." She pointed to a nearby table. "Strap on those lace up sandals with the wedge heels, and you'll be the hottest thing around." She turned back to the display. "And this one, too."

Now she flipped a peplum sleeveless royal blue top from front to back to display the sheer insets. What was with her? Everything she selected would show skin.

"You've got all the curves, this will look lovely on you, Chere. Perfect to wear to your friend's wedding."

Zoya snapped her head around. "I told you I'm not going."

"Why? Because your former lover will be there?"

"He'll be there because it's his step brother's wedding, but that isn't the reason." She'd been a blabber mouth during their morning breakfasts. But there was something about Delphine that just pulled out information before Zoya knew what was happening. She'd shared too much about Roman and everyone else in Arcadia. Well, she'd not told her what city they were in. She wasn't a total fool, but even today, this excursion was out of character, but Delphine's power of persuasion won.

"You should wear revealing things while you're young. Soon, you will be old and feel the need to cover most of your body. Liver spots. Crepe skin. Crow's feet. No matter how hard you work to maintain your face, the rest will betray you." She waved her hand in the air. "I know, you think I am being silly. You are so young, but so was I just a few months ago." She giggled. "Time goes so fast, that's why we must grab all the joy we can."

Taking a deep breath and both blouses, Zoya spoke over her shoulder as she headed to the dressing room. "I'll try these on, but I make no promises."

"Your word today is démodé. It means out-of-date. We cannot have you dressing that way. Especially now that I've arranged an exhibit for you at Park Street Gallery."

Zoya spun on her. "What? No! I don't want my work shown. Why did you do that without discussing it with me first?"

"Calm down, Chere. It is your responsibility to share your talent. Your nudes are some of the best I've seen. You will show them. I will not allow you to refuse."

Zoya heaved for breath. She couldn't do this. People would expect the artist to appear. She collapsed onto the sofa and lowered her voice. "No. Delphine. You don't understand. I can't make public appearances. I can't sign my work."