22 | THUNDERSTRUCK

Flynn trailed the oak branch in the dirt, stopping now and again to whack at the weeds growing next to the ruts

Flynn trailed the oak branch in the dirt, stopping now and again to whack at the weeds growing next to the ruts. Dammit to hell. She'd confided in him and he couldn't tell Roman. She wouldn't ever trust him again.

No doubt when his stepbrother found out, he'd never speak to him again. Roman could hold a grudge better than most. But considering all he'd been through, and the people in his life who'd disappointed him, Flynn couldn't blame him. He just didn't want to be added to that list.

His reason for staying extra days wasn't a lie. He needed to get his head straight about Céline, but more than that, he wanted to see Mariana. She was the only person he'd never been able to forget, and for months, he'd thought more and more about her.

The way her skin looked in the moonlight. How she'd fit perfectly against him. The sound of his name on her lips. Oh God, how he'd loved that. No one had ever said it the same way. Not even Céline, and she claimed to love him. And he'd thought he loved her. But the closer the wedding got, the more he felt like her puppet instead of her equal.

Ophelia was right. She planned every moment of Flynn's life. Dictated when he could spend time with friends. Demanded his attention to things that didn't matter. He'd realized what a mistake he was making. The only thing to do now, was end it.

Career suicide for sure. At least in Baton Rouge. But that'd been part of the problem. He'd gotten so caught up in her fancy life, he'd lost himself.

If he didn't have over two-hundred thousand dollars in student loans, he could branch off on his own.

He pulled his phone from his pocket and turned it on. By now, Céline was pissed because she'd not been able to get in touch with him. But he got tired of hearing the damn thing chime knowing she'd sent him some selfie with her uppity friends. All spoiled little rich girls.

Shouldn't think that way because he was no better. He'd promised his soul to be a part of that world, but he'd finally come to his senses. No need to put it off any longer. He palmed his phone. Time for a little face time with his betrothed.

By the time he got back to the house, he'd finished his call with Céline. Things turned out better than expected. She'd flown to Vegas for a girls' weekend. Not unusual. On short notice, she dropped everything to fly to New York, Paris, wherever her sorority sisters wanted. He doubted she'd ever find it necessary to use her degree in English, but hey, a degree is a degree if that's all a person wanted.

Céline wasn't dumb, just unmotivated. No reason to be. She'd had everything given to her. Her goal in life was to look good and appear in the society pages at least once a week. And she was successful at those things.

Roman waited on the front porch. "Took you long enough."

"Sorry, I stopped to call Céline about staying longer."

"How'd that go?"

Flynn tilted his head. "Better than I hoped."

"So, how was Zoya?"