36 | MOTORCYCLES AND HAYSTACKS

Zoya flung her leg over the seat, barely missing Roman's cheek

Zoya flung her leg over the seat, barely missing Roman's cheek. She grabbed her clothes, stomped across the yard and let herself into the house with the hidden key. Within seconds, Roman was right behind her, calling after her, but she didn't answer.

How could he do this to her? Come all the way to Austin, knowing about her obligations, and ask her to marry him but have no intention of living with her. She'd been so blinded by love and sex—oh, God, the sex. How would she ever live without that? Without him?

As she reached the bedroom, he caught up and spun her around. She shoved against his chest. "Why did you do this? Get my hopes up? Make me think you loved me enough to do anything for me? Well, I don't want to hear anything else from you." She went into the bathroom and slammed the door behind her.

"Zoya-"

"Stop talking. And go away."

"Not gonna happen. You know I keep a key right here above the door, so I'm coming in." He turned the lock and stepped inside. "You didn't let me finish. I can't live in Baton Rouge all the time. But since you're the boss, I figured you could set your own hours and it wouldn't be a big deal."

She looked at him. Big mistake. Defined muscles and broad shoulders. In spite of her anger, she wanted to touch him. She didn't have to wait long. He reached out and pulled her close.

"I love you, Zoya and if I have to live there to be with you, I will. But you've got to understand. Every bad thing that ever happened to me, happened there. My dad leaving. Mom dying. My friends. My freedom. Any good memories I had of that place have disappeared."

"Then we'll make new ones. I don't think I can do it without you."

"Then you won't have to. We'll work it out. Split our time between here and there, okay? But you can't freak out on me like that. Not everyone is as direct as you are, babe. If you want to know something, just talk to me, yeah? I'll answer any questions you have, but you have to tell me. Can we do that?"

She nodded against his chest, loving the way his arms felt around her. "I'm sorry I need you so much."

"Baby, never be sorry for that." He reached over and started the shower.

Later, when he fell asleep, she pulled the laptop onto her thighs and looked at wedding dresses.

After narrowing her search to four, she texted Aunt Fiona to tell her of her plans and ask her to give her away. That, and to use Fiona's credit card, since she didn't have one. She hoped she didn't have a stroke. That many dresses in two sizes, overnighted, tallied to chunk of money. Once she decided on the style and size, the rest would be returned, but still, Fiona might balk. Finding that text first thing in the morning wouldn't be a great way to start her day, but maybe she'd be so happy to have Zoya come out of hiding, she'd trust her decision to marry Roman.