27 | LET HER GO

Early the next morning, with Flynn on his way to Baton Rouge, Ophelia still sound asleep, and Zoya gone to work, Roman headed to his property to mend fences for the pony's new home

Early the next morning, with Flynn on his way to Baton Rouge, Ophelia still sound asleep, and Zoya gone to work, Roman headed to his property to mend fences for the pony's new home. Flynn's excitement about fatherhood proved contagious, and Roman was stoked about being an uncle. Maybe he was projecting his own secret desire through his step brother.  Since finding out about the little boy, fleeting thoughts of parenthood had crossed Roman's mind more than once.

There'd been a time when he'd dreamed of having his own family, but prison killed that hope. He'd pushed the idea to the back of his mind and concentrated on staying alive. Now, he was finding out that freedom created a whole new list of problems. In the number one position—Zoya, and what to do about her.

He swung the truck around next to the fence. As soon as he opened the door, Homer jumped out and hiked his leg on the nearest post. Pulling on his gloves, Roman got to work, but couldn't concentrate on the job. Flynn's questions had stirred up some emotions Roman didn't want to deal with. Why try to make more out of sleeping together than just plain sex? Ophelia was the only one not questioning Roman's intentions, and that was probably because he'd seen so little of her, she'd not brought it up.

Homer barked at a grasshopper while Roman grabbed the posthole digger and dug next to a broken post. Once he had the new upright in place, he attached the fence stretcher, connected the two pieces of barbed wire, looped them together, and twisted them tight.

Okay, so maybe what he felt for Zoya was stronger than physical, but what did everyone expect him to do? She was the one who wanted it and he was just giving her what she asked for. Well, he'd wanted it, too, but she'd started it, and now he was paying the price. Seemed she and everyone else expected more from him, and he had no more to give. Especially not to her. A twenty-four-year-old rich girl mooning over the first guy who'd given her an orgasm. That was a hell of a long way from—from. Shit, from what? He didn't know. That's the thing that bothered him most.

"Homer! Come here. Don't wander off because when I'm ready to go, I'm not coming to find you." The dog looked at him as if to say he knew better.  Roman couldn't even fool the mutt. He moved farther down to another problem area and spliced wire to repair it. Once done, Artax would have plenty of pasture to graze and when winter came, Roman could move some of the hay bales.

The dog scampered to the edge of the pond and drank. Even though it was almost dry, with a little rain, it'd be enough for one horse.

Roman hoisted himself onto the tailgate, palmed a bottle of water, and took a long pull. Maybe he'd buy a few head of cattle or a friend for Artax. Tommy was too young to ride alone, so if Roman bought another mount, he or Flynn or even Mariana could go with him.

The idea made Roman smile, but as quickly as the happy image appeared, it vanished. What was he thinking? Once Flynn started with St. Clair Steel, he'd move his new family, and they'd rarely come to Arcadia.