25 | WHOLE AGAIN

Mariana placed her hand against her chest

Mariana placed her hand against her chest. Unfinished business? He had no idea. Or did he?  A light bulb came on in her head and she glared pointedly at him. "You let the air out of my tire, didn't you?" She grit her teeth in agitation. Leave it to him to fix one thing she couldn't readily fix herself without proper equipment.

He looked at her and his lip quirked up. "Yes."

"So you're kidnapping me."

"Not hardly. You got in of your own free will."

God, she'd like to slap that grin off his face. "Only because you tricked me." If he weren't driving, she'd smack him.

"Guilty." He angled his head toward her, cheeky. Insufferable. "But still didn't force you."

"Why? And what unfinished business could we possibly have?"

He ignored the question and whipped the truck into the drive-thru lane. "You want the Whataburger with light mayo, no onions, no pickles and a vanilla coke. Right?"

She blinked. "You remember?"

He licked his lips. "I remember—everything."

So did she and that was the problem. He was about to marry someone else and Mariana wasn't sure whether she wanted to fuck him or kill him. But she couldn't let the former happen for a multitude of reasons. He didn't belong to her.

"So, Zoya says you're about to start a new job. Congratulations."

He placed the order then moved to the next window and paid. "That's probably not going to work out."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you'd already been hired."

"I believe everything happens for a reason. Like the timing of my visit here." He added, sparing her a glance from the corner of his eye.

"What does that mean?"

He drove forward again and got their food, then hit the highway and headed south. "Just that I've been trying to sort some things out, so coming here helped me do that. Quiet time in the country cleared my head."

"That's good, I guess."

"Zoya told me you have a project going with bath products. I figure that's what you were doing earlier. Right?"

"Yeah. I'm trying to get it off the ground, but not having much luck. The garage is still the ultimate dream." Mariana noticed her surroundings and her stomach spiraled. "Where are we going?"

"Back forty. Did some target practice there the other day. I thought it'd be a quiet spot where we could talk."

She should tell him to take her home. Sitting in the woods with him under a full moon and starlit sky would only add fuel to her burning desire. "I should get home."

Too late. He'd already made the turn and within minutes, he parked, then pushed the greasy paper bag toward her. She removed the food and divided it but had lost her appetite. Why wasn't he going to work for his soon-to-be father-in-law? What had he been trying to sort out? Her brain flooded with questions but she didn't dare ask. The best thing to do was eat her hamburger and get the hell away from him. Because being this close to him, her son's father, was taking its toll.