21 | TARGET PRACTICE

Roman rolled to his left then to his right

Roman rolled to his left then to his right. He fluffed the pillow. Punched it down. Finally gave up and came to his feet. After seeing Flynn and Zoya together all night, he couldn't sleep. What the hell was wrong with him? In two months, he'd get married, so why was he being so attentive to her? And on top of all that, she'd been eating it up. Talking. Dancing. Laughing. What the hell had gotten into her?

She couldn't have a decent conversation with Roman but she'd turned into someone else entirely with his step-brother. She'd looked so damn beautiful; she'd taken Roman's breath away. His jaw ticked in annoyance. He wanted to be the one making her smile and laugh, carefree as she clung to his arms as he twirled her around the dance floor. Ophelia had pestered him relentlessly about Zoya.

Coffee, Roman needed caffeine. Once he had some, he'd feel better. He glanced at the clock. Six-forty-five.

Roman went to the bathroom, took a quick shower, pulled on his jeans and a clean t-shirt, and headed to the kitchen. When he got to the end of the hall, voices came from the front porch. He strolled to a good vantage point and peered out. Shit. Zoya was cutting Flynn's hair. What the hell?

He froze in place as he watched her run her fingers through the strands, divide a section, and clip. As she moved around his chair, he spread his legs wide for her to stand closer. Damn it. All he had to do was lean forward, and he'd be resting his face in the valley of her breasts. Fucking Flynn, he thought, remembering the way Zoya's fingers had pulled at his own curls and her nails had scraped his scalp.

They were talking, but he couldn't hear what they were saying. He wished he could. She'd fallen into an easy friendship with Flynn and that bothered Roman. A lot. Maybe because his relationship with her was strained at the moment. But he intended to change that. As soon as his family left, he'd get the whole mess straightened out.

Out of the corner of her eye, Zoya caught a glimpse of Roman

Out of the corner of her eye, Zoya caught a glimpse of Roman. "He's watching us."

"Good. Let him get an eye full. I'll spread my legs apart and you move in closer."

She frowned down at him. "What's the use? It didn't work last night."

"Oh yeah, it did. He didn't have three sentences to say all the way home. He was pissed."