37 | FIRST DAY OF MY LIFE

Roman wasn't sure what category to put Miles Landry in—friend or foe

Roman wasn't sure what category to put Miles Landry in—friend or foe. The man seemed to be working both sides of the street. Out of character for an ex cop, and as much as Roman appreciated the head start the PI had given Zoya, the fact remained, he still worked for Marion O'Donnell-St. Clair.

Miles set his briefcase on the table, stuck out his hand and Roman ignored it. "What the hell are you doing here?"

He pushed his palms out in front of his body as if surrendering. "No need for hostility. I'm here to help, not cause trouble."

Roman nodded toward the last vacant chair at the table. "In that case, take a seat. Only fair to warn you though, nothing—and I do mean nothing is going to mess up my wedding day."

"I understand." He turned to Flynn and Ophelia. "I take it you're the family."

"Yeah. I'm Flynn, and this is Ophelia."

"Nice to meet you both." Then he swung his attention back to Roman. "Here's the deal. I'm still employed by Mrs. O'Donnell-St. Clair, and I plan to collect my fee. I've put in too much work not to get the final installment. So tomorrow morning, I'll notify her that Zoya is in Arcadia. Once I do, the widow will head this way with her jolly band of minions."

"So far I don't hear the helping part of this plan," Roman grunted.

Miles leaned forward. "I figure the quickest she can get here is one o'clock. Since your wedding is at two, I suggest you move the ceremony to an earlier time. Say—before noon."

"Why not just postpone your call?"

"Can't do that. Notification needs to look like I contacted her as soon as I located the girl. Besides, according to Stella, all the wedding guests are already here, so it's not like you'll be waiting for a late arrival."

"I'll talk it over with Zoya. If she's good with it, then so am I."

"Okay, now that's settled, can I buy you guys a round of drinks?"

Flynn drained the last from his bottle. "Roman isn't drinking, but Ophelia and I will take you up on the offer."

Miles motioned for the bartender to send three more beers, then shouldered back in his chair, and focused on Roman. "Once you're married, Zoya might be safe, but you won't be. Marion can't kill her stepdaughter and gain anything. But she can off you and leave the girl vulnerable again. So, here's where my help comes in. While I've been searching for Zoya, I've had Marion under surveillance. And, I've investigated her all the way back to childhood."

The waitress brought the drinks and Miles took a long pull, then focused on Roman again. "She was in and out of foster homes until she turned sixteen, then she ran away. Turns out she spent time in juvie for breaking and entering. Had a real knack for picking locks. After that, she used her beauty to her advantage. Made a habit of hooking up with older men who had a little money, but once they couldn't afford her, she moved on."