Chapter 13

A couple of weeks had passed, and Elizabeth and Pietro had gotten closer than ever. Though the two always flirted, held hands, cuddled, and occasionally kissed, they were still not officially dating. However, it is clear that the two considered the other to be their significant other.

     The two were busy training, and Elizabeth was showing steady signs of improvement. She was gaining better control of her heightened senses, and sometimes managed to counter Pietro's quick attacks. In this sparring match, Elizabeth managed to block each of Pietro's attacks. He was proud of her, but slightly annoyed that she was matching his speed, which should be impossible. However, in one of his dashes, Pietro managed to catch her off guard. He used this to his advantage and picked her up.

     "I finally got you."

     "Yeah, yeah, whatever. She wrapped her legs around his waist, and threw her arms around his neck. He nuzzled his nose against hers, causing her to giggle.

     "Weren't you two supposed to be training?" Steve interrupted.

     "Uh- we were," Elizabeth quickly hopped off of Pietro.

     "Alright, lovebirds. The team wanted to go out for lunch, so you two should change out of your training clothes."

     "Sweet! Food," Pietro commented before dashing off to his room.

Elizabeth strolled to her room. Before she changed her clothes, she regretfully decided to check any updates from HYDRA.

"Neuronica, your deadline is approaching. Is any progress being made on the Avengers' assassination?"

"I'll get on it as soon as I have the chance," How is she going to get herself out of this? Maybe she should tell the team about HYDRA soon.

Her enhanced hearing picked up an ear piercing scream. Without thinking, Elizabeth darted out of her room, forgetting to put the device in it's usual hiding space.

She went downstairs to find Natasha holding a shoe.

"What happened?"

"I saw a spider, I killed it."

"And it made you scream?"

"Only because I wasn't expecting it, and it was a big spider. It was crawling on my leg."

"So your superhero name is Black Widow, and yet you are scared of spiders?"

"I'm not scared of spiders! I just didn't expect it, It startled me."

"Sure," Elizabeth mocked while laughing. She headed back up to her room. She noticed that her HYDRA device wasn't laying on her bed. She must have remembered to put it up, although she swore she left it out. She didn't have enough time to check the usual hiding spot, so she got dressed for lunch and headed out the door.

She made her way to the living room, and found Pietro, Steve, and Clint huddled together. When they turned their heads to face her, Elizabeth was met with unexpected expressions.

"You thought we wouldn't find out?" Steve held up her device from HYDRA.

"Wait, Steve! I can explain."

"I can read Morse code," Clint states. "You have been contacting HYDRA, and plotting our deaths."

Before she could react, a bullet scraped her shoulder. She clutched the bleeding wound, and turned around to see Natasha holding a gun, a single tear trailing down her face.

"Traitor."

"So everything between us was a lie?" Pietro asked, both heartbroken and hatefully. Before she could answer, she saw Clint grabbing his bow and arrow. She dashed for the door, and slammed it shut to keep Pietro from catching her. He pushed against the door, yelling at her to open it. Luckily for Elizabeth, her enhanced strength greatly overpowered his attempts at opening the door. She looked for an escape route, and saw two SHIELD agents exiting the elevator. The word must have spread, because the man and woman drew out their guns. Elizabeth dodged their bullets, picked up the female agent, and threw her into the other. She sprinted into the elevator right before it closed, catching a glimpse of Pietro. He beat on the elevator door, yelling in his native language. She pressed all of the buttons below the floor she was currently on to confuse him, along with anyone else following her.

"I'm sorry!" Elizabeth yelled before the elevator began descending. She let the first two floors pass so she wouldn't be predictable, and darted out on the next floor. She sprinted to the closest staircase and quickly made her way down. She was on the third floor when she heard Nick Fury on the speaker.

"Elizabeth is working with HYDRA. Find her dead or alive, we can't let any information about SHIELD get out."

     She continued running down the staircase when she heard footsteps coming in her direction. She ran back up to the closest floor, exiting the staircase as quick as possible. She sprinted down the hallway and found a window, she was close enough to the ground to live. She kicked the window into pieces, and jumped out of the building. Eliza darted to the road, and found a citizen climbing into a taxi. She threw the person out of the taxi, and slammed the door shut.

     "Drive."

     "Excuse me? Where to?"

     "Just drive! Don't make me pull out a weapon," Elizabeth bluffed, she didn't have a weapon on her at the moment. The driver sped away, unsure of where to go.

     "Where do I drop you off?" His voice was shaking.

     "Nearest bar I guess. I don't care, I'll figure it out from there."

     He dropped her off a couple of blocks down, and she immediately hid in one of the alleyways. She threw her back against a wall, out of breath from adrenaline. She slowly slid down the wall, tucking her tear-stained face into her knees. The Avengers were the only friends, no. Family, she ever remembered having. Now they hate her, and it's all because of her awful communication skills. If she had told them about HYDRA sooner, she wouldn't be in this mess. She would be happy with them.

     She would have Pietro.

     But instead, she is left in an alleyway crying, while her best friends are hunting her down to kill her.

     She didn't know what to do. She has no money, no where to go, no plan. She could only live on the streets for so long, she would either die or be caught by the Avengers before she could make a place for herself.

     Elizabeth finally wiped her tears away, and wandered around in the alleyways. What else could she do? But while walking, she heard footsteps that didn't belong to her. She whipped around to find a man standing behind her.

     "Who are you? What do you want with me?"

     "Shouldn't you be in the Avengers' tower, Neuronica?"

     "Wha- they found out I was communicating with HYDRA. They were going to kill me."

     "And you didn't fight back?"

     "I tried, how did you find me?"

     "We have our ways," he jabbed something into her arm.

     "What did you-" her vision began to darken, and she collapsed to the ground.