Chapter 24

Elizabeth was strolling the hallways with her mom, listening to her rant about how much she missed her. She went on and on, talking about how much Elizabeth has grown, how she thought she would never see her again, and much more. Walking next to her mother, Eliza was hit by a wave of emotions. She was happy to see the woman she had been separated from for so long, but also distraught that she had become so brainwashed by HYDRA. They had given her so much false hope, that it was impossible for her to accept the truth.

"So, where is Dad? Is he with HYDRA too?"

"No," Elizabeth watched as her mother's eyes filled with a mix of emotions, mostly pain and hate. "He said I was insane for joining a 'cult'. He left me years ago," Elizabeth silently agreed that her mother had gone insane. The crazed look in her eyes pulled at Eliza's heart, she wanted to help her. "But now, I have you. Together, we can help HYDRA's family grow."

"Right," Elizabeth glanced at the ground. As happy as she was to talk with her mom again, she needed an escape from the conversation. "Hey, I need to use the bathroom. Where can I find one?" Her mom pointed to the left towards a distant hallway.

"Down the fifth hallway to the left."

"Ok, thank you," Elizabeth scurried off, making it to the restroom as quickly as possible without drawing suspicion. She shut the door behind her, leaning against it as she took a few deep breaths, trying to relax. She pulled the key out of her pocket, wondering how to free her friends without her mom noticing. She felt slightly guilty for tricking her mom with a hug, but she had to save her friends.

Elizabeth peeked out of the bathroom and found a supply closet. She tiptoed over to the closet, and discovered that it was locked. She kicked the doorknob off with ease, and swung the door open. She conveniently found a pistol with a silencer, that will come in handy. She took the pistol, and slowly turned the corner, spotting a security camera. She quickly shot the camera down, and continued along her path. Though her mom trusted her, and she could easily walk around without suspicion, she wanted to clear out as many cameras as possible for the Avenger's escape. She made sure to turn every corner carefully, and shoot down any camera in sight.

She managed to make it all the way to her friends without being caught, and began unlocking their cells.

"Elizabeth, how did you-"

"Shh," she interrupted Wanda. "I'll explain later."

After freeing her friends, the four snuck around the halls, looking for an exit. Hopefully HYDRA didn't patch up their previous entry point, a giant hole in the wall would be very convenient.

Though Elizabeth had taken out every camera she came in contact with, her mom still discovered their escape plan.

"You really thought I wouldn't notice my missing key, Eliza?" The four heard over the speakers. "You shouldn't have betrayed me."

     "What does she mean by betrayed?" Pietro asked.

     "It turns out that HYDRA's new leader is my mom. Now we need to be quiet, we don't want to run into any soldiers."

Ironically, Elizabeth detected a wave of soldiers heading in their direction. She signaled for the team to turn around, but noticed that there were soldiers coming from that direction as well. Luckily, there was a hallway straight down the center for them to take.

 Luckily, there was a hallway straight down the center for them to take

(Small illustration lol)

The four ran down the hallway, and encountered another intersection. Eliza heard the soldiers storming towards their location. They only had two options: take a left, or a right. Hopefully their path wouldn't lead to a dead end, then there would be no escape.

However, the soldiers were now bombarding their hallway, firing upon the four. Distracted by the attack, the four accidentally split up. Pietro and Elizabeth were running down one hallway, while Wanda and Bucky were running down the other. Pietro picked Eliza up, and dashed to safety. He could only hope that his sister was safe as well.

Pietro and Elizabeth found themselves at a dead end, with guards trailing behind them at a distance. The two ran into the closest room, shutting the door in an attempt to hide. They remained silent as the listened to a wave of footsteps pass the door, and let out a sigh of relief as the footsteps disappeared.

     "How are we going to get out of here?" Pietro asked.

     "I have no idea. All I know is that we have to find Wanda and Bucky first."

     The two shut their mouths when they heard a pair of heels approaching.

     "You might have taken down my cameras, but you can't hide your voice from me," Elizabeth shot Pietro a worried look. "It's mother's instinct."

     The door opened, and Pietro dashed to knock the woman out. However, to his surprise, a gun was planted to his forehead. She slowly backed him into a corner while eyeing Elizabeth.

     "If either of you move, I'll kill him," Elizabeth raised her arms above her head, not willing to risk it.

     "I don't understand," Eliza spoke up. "You joined HYDRA to find me, and now you're choosing HYDRA over me?" The look in her mother's eyes proved she had reached the point of insanity.

     "When you were kidnapped, neither the Sokovian government or the United States would get involved. I was hopeless, HYDRA was the only one that would help me."

     "But HYDRA was the one who kidnapped me," Elizabeth knew there was no point in talking to her mother, but she hoped she could reach some level of sanity deep down. "They lied to you."

     "But I found you, didn't I? HYDRA didn't lie," her grip had eased on the gun, distracted by the conversation. Pietro took his opportunity, and swung his head from under the gun. He shoved Mariah's arm, pulling the gun from her. She lounged at him to get the gun back, but he quickly threw it to Eliza. Without hesitation, she pointed the gun at her Mom.

"Please," Eliza's eyes glossed over. "Come with us. HYDRA doesn't care about you, they lied to you."

"HYDRA is my family, they have not wronged me," she sounded like she was speaking on autopilot. She sounded like a robot. "Please, stay with me. Stay with HYDRA."

Elizabeth realized before that her mother was insane, but it had just hit her why. They hung the loss of her child over her head. HYDRA had created a special hell for her mother, and used it to brainwash her into submission. She could have a million chances to choose between Elizabeth and HYDRA, and would choose HYDRA every time. There was no hope. If she ran off with the Avengers, her mom would just keep tormenting them until she got her way, HYDRA's way.

However, if she stayed with her mom, there is a chance she could convince her to leave the Avengers alone. Though she would be miserable, that would be the only way to give both the Avengers and her mom a happy ending.

But what if she wanted a happy ending. She was sick of living for other people. Of course she cared about the people around her, but what was the point of living if she wasn't doing it for herself. Her life would be meaningless.

She looked between the gun, her mom, and Pietro. This one choice would determine her future.

Elizabeth closed her eyes as she fired a bullet, which landed right between her mother's eyes. She dropped the gun and Pietro dashed to her, holding her face.

"I just... I killed..."

"It is okay, возлюбленная."

"We have to find the others."

What Elizabeth didn't expect was hearing a gunshot, then looking at Pietro to find that he had been shot in the back. Her mother's head rolled to the side, the gun in her hand dropping with it. She had used her last breath to leave Elizabeth suffering. She used her last breath to strip her life away from her.