thirteen

🦢 𝐒𝐖𝐀𝐍 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆 🦢
013. | the sweet hereafter

A loud gasp erupted from the shack near the docks in the middle of the Bayou. A moment passed and the door opened, a woman stepped out but not any woman— Thalia Mikaelson.
She looked around in the dark night, hearing people laugh. Not far away on the encampment grounds sat four people in front of a bonfire. Curious, she left the docks to go see what was going on.

Thalia reached the bonfire and one of the four people who had been sitting there with their back turned against her got up. The person turned around to face her, they gasped in shock when they saw her.

 The person turned around to face her, they gasped in shock when they saw her

Thalia almost dropped to the ground at the sight. Her brother, Jackson, stood in front of her. She threw herself into her brother's arms, clutching onto him. She pulled away for a moment, her hands on his cheeks. She couldn't believe it. She wrapped her arms around him again, tears falling.

They soon pulled away. Mary Dumas approached the two and she hugged Thalia saw her father, Gabriel, sitting on a log. The man rose from his seat, speaking to an unknown woman who previously sat beside him. She stood up. Gabriel nodded, gesturing for the woman to greet the vampire.

The woman, whose hair and eye color matched Thalia's, approached her. She reached out for the vampire's hand, "Victoria"

The vampire didn't have to think about it twice. The family resemblance, the same brown eyes. . . The woman standing before her was her own mother.

She wrapped her arms around her mother,  holding her tight. Never in a million years would Thalia think that she'd be able to see her mother again. She reminded her of her youngest, Hope.

Thalia knew she was dead but she just thought she'd be stuck in a seemingly endless loop of her biggest mistakes and regrets or a dark empty place. She thought wrong for her grandmother, father, brother and mother were all standing before her. She was in the afterlife. At peace.

Peace felt no different than living except for not having her family there with her. How she missed her babies, she missed them so much she could barely breathe.

Thalia and Jackson were walking around in the Bayou. Thalia was carrying a wood woven basket to fill with wood for the campfire.

"How are they?" Jackson asked.

The woman smiled, he was talking about the twins, "They're so big. Beautiful and honestly, too smart for their own good"

"And Hayley?"

"Hayley?" Thalia repeated.

"She's alright. She's doing really well and she's happy"

Jackson nodded, happy that Hayley was doing well, "Did— Has she, uh you know. . ."

"Moved on?" Thalia looked at him with a sympathetic look, "Sorry, Jack but she has"

"What's he like?" Jack asked.

The two came to a stop and started to pick out firewood, "He's really nice and caring" Thalia told her brother as she filled her basket.

"Do they like him?" Jackson questioned, "The twins, do they like him?"

"Does it matter?" The woman replied, "He's not with me, he's with Hayley"

"It does matter" Jack said, "If they like him that means that I can rest easy"

"They love him" Thalia told her brother. She stood up and grabbed her basket, "Declan and Hayley have been really helpful in the last couple of years. They've helped me with the twins, babysat them for days"

"Yeah, I've kind of been watching you" Jackson admitted as they started to make their way back.

"That sounds creepy" The siblings both laughed.

A few moments of silence passed, Thalia swung the basket back and forth, "How's Klaus?" Jackson asked, breaking the silence.

Thalia stopped to look at her brother. She sighed, "It's a long story but I'll try to shorten it. Crescent ancestor Inadu—"

"—possessed your kids, Dad stepped in and she killed him. In order to save the twins from dying at her hand, her spirit had to be divided and separated into the Mikaelsons" Jackson finished, "Right?"

"Yes, very right" Thalia nodded, confused as to why he knew this, "That's about it"

"Mary and Gabriel told us" Jackson told his sister, knowing how it must've been confusing for her.

Thalia nodded, she looked at her fingers and noticed that her wedding ring was gone, "Huh"

"My ring is gone"

Jackson and Thalia returned to the encampment and saw that something was going on, the living Crescents had all gathered in the Bayou and the Kenners watched them.

Thalia approached her family, "What's that?"

"Werewolf funeral" Mary answered.

The former werewolf looked around, "For who?"

"You" Amelia, Thalia's mother, told her.

"For me? But I—" Thalia stopped herself the moment she caught a glimpse of Freya approaching the docks.

On the docks stood the twins, her babies, both crying. The woman dropped the basket she held and ran like hell.

She ran past the werewolves that had gathered, not that they noticed. All she wanted to do was wrap her arms around her children but she couldn't. They couldn't see her.

Thalia reached out to grab Hope's hand and the young girl felt a sudden shiver run down her spine

Thalia reached out to grab Hope's hand and the young girl felt a sudden shiver run down her spine. Hope looked around but no one else except her brother stood close to her.

Amelia and Gabriel walked closer, keeping to the side as they watched their daughter and grandchildren. Jackson approached his parents and so did Mary, all of them proud over the mother of two.

Hope and Liam held each other as a boat with flower decor was sent into the water, "Goodbye mom"

Thalia saw Klaus approached the twins and embraced them immediately. She watched the teenagers and their father, happy and sad tears streaming down her face, "I love you"