fifteen

🦢 𝐒𝐖𝐀𝐍 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆 🦢
015. | the darkness in us

Klaus walked downstairs into the courtyard, on his way out when Freya approached him, "Klaus, we need to talk"

"No" Klaus replied, "No more talk. My son need's help. I intend to get it for him"

"Please, Klaus, I am not the enemy," Freya told her brother, "Okay, every time I look at Liam or— or Hope, I see the child of mine that I never got to raise. That's how I feel about them. That's how much I wanna protect them. Your kids came to me in so much pain and I knew that they were gonna take back that power with or without me. Okay? So, I gambled that if they felt like we were on their side, maybe they would let us help them"

"Well, you couldn't have been more wrong," Klaus said, "Now, Vincent will have to come up with something to save my children"

"I already did" Freya handed her brother the anti-magic chain his son used to wear around his neck when he was younger and an anti-magic bracelet that belonged to Hope, "They took them off for good a few years ago. Said they didn't need them anymore but now they do. Now this won't stop whatever the dark magic is doing to them but it could lessen their suffering until we can find a permanent solution"

Klaus took Freya's hand, "I know you love them. I never doubted that I just—"

"Wish things were different," Freya finished.

Klaus nodded, "Me too"

A small smile made its way onto Klaus' lips as he thought of his wife, "If Thalia could see us now, she'd say we were gi—" The doors to the compound opened and Klaus cut himself off when he saw that Declan had entered the compound. Klaus looked behind his sister, "You have a visitor"

Freya turned around, seeing Declan making his way towards her. Klaus left and took the anti-magic jewelry with him.

"Freya" Declan spoke as the two came face to face, "How can you tell me my girlfriend's been kidnapped by voicemail? And instead of returning my calls, you send another voicemail saying that my friend is dead? How is any of that fair?"

"It all happened so fast," Freya told him.

"What happened?" Declan asked, "How did Thalia die?"

"Car crash," Freya answered, lying. It wasn't her place to tell Declan about what really happened let alone about the existence of the supernatural species, "The brakes went out. She died instantly. No pain, no suffering at all"

Declan looked down, "Are Hope and Liam all right?"

Freya nodded, "They're coping"

"And where's Hayley?" Declan started to walk toward the stairs when Freya stopped him by grabbing his arm.

"— Now's really not a good time. I'm sorry, Declan" She told him.

"How do brakes just fail?" Declan questioned, "I—it doesn't happen anymore"

"I don't know the details, okay?" Freya said as she started to clean up in the compound after a storm— monsoons from the sea— that occurred the day before, "As you can see, there was a storm"

"So, why was she out in it?" Declan continued to inquire, "Where was she going?"

Freya shook her head, "I really don't know"

"And that doesn't bother you?" Declan asked, "That you don't have answers?"

"Declan—" Freya started but the human continued to question everything.