Chapter 16 - the bomb

Nate had pushed Minerva to her limits, urging her to travel to the coast as fast as possible. It took them another day and night until the ever-blue mass of water came into view.

They walked down onto the coast with their wolves, Nate sat down on a rock. He was so tired from pushing and encouraging Minerva to keep walking. He had dark black circles outlines his eye sockets, and he moved weakly.

His large chocolate brown wolf led down next to him with a thud and shut its eyes immediately.

Minerva walked to the sea and stood still with her eyes shut. The salty air filled her lungs and the damp breeze felt refreshing on her face.

"Now what?" Minerva turned to look at Nate.

He opened his eyes and tried to look strong. "We set up a life somewhere around here, has to be next to the sea, maybe a coastal town or something."
Nate spoke out loudly so she could hear him over the strong gales and gusts of wind.

Minerva nodded and picked up his bag to carry it for him, "Lets get some food for you."

Minerva started walking, Nates wolf got up and lead the was to a rocky cove.
The cliff side was caved in slightly, and some large dark rocks provided sufficient shelter from the wind.

Minerva built a fire and then passed Nate a can of beans from his bag that he opened and ate quickly.

"We need to make a memorial."
Minerva said braking the silence.

Nate looked at the sand coldly,
"No we don't. We need to forget about Paul and James, if we build a memorial we will constantly be reminded of their deaths."

Minerva understood but didn't agree.

"I miss them." She said stroking her wolf, "Paul was the first ever Alpha I've had. Now it's you."

Nate shut his eyes and shook his head, "No. You need to get this in your head I'm not alpha material, I don't want to be responsible for your life."

"So what have you been doing the past month?"

"I've been doing what I promised to Paul. I'm honouring his words. And I will continue to do so." Nate said bluntly and cold.

Minerva decided it was best to stop talking. Nate was clearly a bit grump and not in a talkative mood.

So they both fell asleep for the night. They both slept, Minerva was supposed to keep watch but even she was to exhausted to stay awake.

She woke up first. Shivering and cold, the fire long gone out. Just a pile of ash blowing around between her and Nate now.

Her wolf was up and walking around. She'd never seen the sea before.

Minerva got up curiously and wondered out if the rocky haven and walked again to the sea, she crouched down and dipped her finger in the water to taste it.

She immediately scrunched up her nose and stuck out her tongue at the strong concentration of salty water.

Her wolf was walking around in the shallow, slashing the water.

"Minerva!" Nate shouted bringing her attention back towards the shore.

She smiled and jogged back with her wolf.