Prologue

*I realized this is a very cliche first chapter. Please bare with me through it! Thank you!*

The gates of the arena were looming ominously above Hiccup as he approached their heavy iron bars. Their weight, seeming to have been thrown onto his shoulders, chaining him to the stone ground. Surrounded by the same walls that would become his tomb.

    "Be careful out there." Astrid's voice was almost unrecognizable, as she dragged her hand along the walls of his tomb, and pushed her blonde bangs behind her ears.

    Hiccup gave a small nod in appreciation. "It's not the dragon I'm worried about." he softly laughed, then peered worriedly through the iron bars, up to his father who was sitting down, gayly in his chair. Hiccup drew in a deep breath, then turned around to look at Astrid, once again failing to recognize the new emotion of kindness of her face. "If something goes wrong, make sure they don't find Toothless."

    "Just promise me it won't go wrong." she threw his words back at him. Hiccup nodded, his facial expressions however silently telling her that the promise wasn't something in his control to keep. "So what are you going to do?"

    "Try, Astrid I have to." Hiccup told her, looking back at her one more time, and at the tip of his eye, seeing Gober walking down the entrance.

    "Alrig't 'iccup! It's time!" Gober cheerfully said.

    Astrid brushed her bangs back again, then opened her mouth to say something, before shutting it closed and walking out of the stone walls. Hiccup clenched his jaw together and pulled on his heavy helmet, indeed feeling like he was carrying an entire generation of vikings with the helmet, on his slim weak legs.

    Gober pressed the lever that made the iron bars rise into the air, giving Hiccup one last piece of encouragement. "Knock 'em dead." he said with a proud smile, slapping Hiccup on the back, and walking back into the stands.

    Hiccup gave him an awkward smile, readjusting the helmet on his head, and stepped out into the sun. The crowd's cheering thundered through the arena, echoing off of the bare walls filled with innocent blood. He picked up a shield and with his sweaty palms, gripped a small dagger, hoping it wouldn't slip out of his hands.

    "I'm ready." he told the vikings who were stationed in front of the heavy iron doors, which would contain the Monstrous Nightmare. Slowly the boulders holding the heavy doors together split, and the doors burst open in flames and a red lizard stormed out of its cage. He circled the chains above, blowing fire to try and escape his sealed fate. When the chains didn't snap though, he lowered himself to the ground, spotting the frightened Hiccup, clutching his shield and knife.

    Hiccup stood still, letting the Monstrous Nightmare calm down and curiously creep towards him. Before the dragon got too close however, Hiccup started to slowly back away, bending his knees to gently lay down his shield. He held out the small knife and dropped it beside him, before reaching up and being the first viking to throw his helmet to the ground. "I'm not one of them."

    The Monstrous Nightmare relaxed a little, gazing with curiosity of why Hiccup was showing no hostility towards him. Hiccup slowly started to reach out his hand, letting the crimson scaled dragon come closer to him, then addressed the crowd before him.

    "We don't have to kill them." he said.

    "Stop the fight." Stoick's voice boomed out, but no one moved. Everyone's gaze was transfixed on Hiccup and the dragon, as the Monstrous Nightmare was close enough that Hiccup could feel its' steaming breath on his palms.

    "No!" Hiccup sternly said, holding is ground. "I need you all to see this. They aren't what we think they are. We don't have to-"

    "I SAID STOP THE FIGHT!" Stoick's voice raged out through the arena, his hammer slamming down onto the iron bars, creating an indent big enough for the children to slip through.