Chapter Four

"You're late." Mala tsked her tongue at Heather, who's head broke the glossy water to emerge into the lagoon. The four women were now in a cave that had a lagoon of water in the center, and a beautiful arrangement of rocks to circle it. Above through cracks in the rocks, the moonlight shone like diamonds were floating above their heads.

"I'm sorry Athena, but I had to throw the Twins off a few islands away, then swim back here." Heather apologized, pulling herself up slightly, to rest her tail on the rocks. Astrid was already out of the water and standing a safe distance from it, while despite all of Mala's attempts to get her out, Niki refused to leave the lagoon.

"But the water is so wonderful!" she said, floating onto her back and pushing her tail slowly in the water, so that she peacefully glided along the surface, staring up at the diamonds in the sky.

"And we have Queen Helena's birthday tomorrow. The Wing Maidens are already prepared to perform the preparatory ceremonies." Mala snapped, growing impatient with Niki's carefree attitude.

"Why do we bother? They are all dead anyways."

Mala shut her eyes tightly, pinched the bridge of her nose, and sighed loudly. "We go over this every year. It is a tradition that gives hope and comfort to our-"

"Your."

"My people." Mala opened one eye to glare at Niki. "The Elemental Queens have been doing this tradition for longer than you've even been alive."

"That's...not longer than anyone else." Niki reminded her. "I'm only thirty one. Why, just cause I'm an elf you assume I-" she made air quotations with her long and slender fingers. "Age faster because I'm an elf?"

"Wouldn't that be aging slower?" Heather corrected.

"Humans age slow. Like my brother for instance."

"Are you now making fun of my husband?"

"I'm his sister, it's my birthright to make fun of him." Niki waved aside Astrid's comment.

"All of you stop arguing and go." Mala snapped, throwing her arm out so that her pointer finger was facing the tunneled exit.

With one of them grumbling, the three women climbed out of their positions of rest, and walked through the tunnel. Outside a gathering of Wing Maidens were awaiting them and linked arms with each, leading them towards the huts that had been prepared for them.

*

Dagur had joyfully fulfilled the task that Hiccup had sent him, which was to arise Fishlegs and Snotlout right as the sun tipped the edge of the horizon, and drag their sleepy behinds into the arena.

"Why are we up so early?" Snotlout complained, slouching against the worn walls. "I thought this super deadly and awesome viking thing was going to be-" he let out a loud yawn, stretching his mouth as big as a tiger would. "-later."

"Today's the festival of Queen Helena's birthday." Dagur tossed a knife he was sharpening, over his shoulder and into the bucket of other deadly accessories.

"Who?"

Fishlegs gave an ooh and excitedly jabbed his pointer fingers high into the air, while prancing on his tipitoes. "Isn't she the person, according to your legends, that gave the four elemental queens their powers?"

"Abilities." Hiccup's voice corrected as he walked into the arena with Toothless by his side. "Not that it really matters or that there is a big difference, but to Mala and Niki, it does." he shrugged, messing with his hair. "And its' not a legend."