Chapter Five

"That play was beautiful." Fishlegs was ranting off on his praise for the play on the legend of Queen Helena. The Berkians and leaders of the Defenders of the Wing, were standing outside the Great Hall, waiting for Niki and the Twins to come from backstage. "Is it all true? Did all of that really happen?"

"This was all hundreds of years before Berk was even settled." Hiccup said. "We can't know if it's all true."

"You should hear Niki's version of it all." Astrid teased. "It's a lot darker than the play."

Viggo huffed, waving her off. "I can assure you, that version is the farthest thing from the truth." Behind him though, someone dramatically sighed and jumped onto his back.

"Are you saying you don't believe me?"

"Nikolai of the Moonlire, get off of me!" Viggo struggled to keep his balance, with Niki hanging onto his back. Niki reluctantly jumped off, and gathered her hair, before throwing it behind her back.

"Wow, are those diamonds in your hair?" Snotlout's mood strangely had a sudden perk with the arrival of Niki's presence. He reached up to touch the braid, but Hiccup smacked it away before any damage could be done.

"Don't do that." he warned.

"Why not?"

"Elves are very particular about their hair. It's sacred. Only their mates and themselves can touch their hair. Unless you have explicit permission. It's a great dishonor if someone touches their hair without permission." Hiccup explained underneath his breath. "Just don't touch their hair."

Snotlout shook his hand out of Hiccup's iron grasp. "Okay, okay. Sheesh. Calm down. I won't touch the hair." Hiccup glared at him. "I won't! Wait...what is a mate?"

"Husband, wife, spouse."

"Hm." Snotlout pondered, then one of his ideas shot into his head. "Does she have a mate?" he gave Hiccup a suggestive look while asking his question.

Hiccup looked as disgusted at the question as if Astrid had just offered some of her holiday yaknog. "No, not right now but-"

The instant Snotlout heard exactly what he wanted to hear, his mind shut Hiccup out as he began to plan his advances. Hiccup realized that the rest of his sentence had not been heard, and decided that Snotlout could really do no harm, besides embarrassing himself. And honestly, what harm would a little humility do?

The group followed a skinny trail that was wide enough for only Fishlegs, or perhaps two smaller girls to walk along. From the crowd that was in the Great Hall, there was only meandering children left.

"What is this next ceremony?" Fishlegs excitedly asked.

Viggo unexpectedly started laughing. "One that is more of an elven tradition than a Queen Helena one."

Niki gently slapped his arm. "Fishlegs, the next ceremony was created by an elf, Queen Ling. Where we are heading right now, there will be a small pond, where the Elemental Queens will draw the water, purify it, then wash all the guests' feet, individually. To signify our humility and service to our people."

"Cole also does this every night before we get into bed." Viggo added.

Niki's face turned into an appalled look. "Excuse me for wanting to have a clean bed! Have you all seen your feet before you go to sleep? They are filthy!"

Viggo grabbed Niki's waist and quickly kissed her cheek. "I'm just teasing you. You know, if the water is quite refreshing during a hot summer's eve."

"And then you massage your feet with oils and-" Tuffnut moved his hands like he was massaging an invisible foot. Beside him, Ruffnut 'oohed and 'awed as if she was the one receiving the massage.