Chapter Two

Hiccup threw his mask down onto the table. He wasn't thinking of the Berkians and what they would see. All he was thinking about was seeing Astrid's stunning sapphire eyes again, and wincing at how she could barely even stand on her own.

He ran into her arms, catching her at the exact moment she started to fall to the ground. "Astrid what happened?" he asked.

Heather bent down, helping Hiccup support Astrid's weight, ultimately carrying her to a spot on the table near the Berkians. Astrid coughed a little, then moaned as they propped her leg up. "She took an arrow for Stormfly and several other warriors." Heather said. "Her magic nearly destroyed everything, but wasn't enough."

Hiccup helped Heather remove Astrid armor, and inspect the wounds. "These have been infected." he told Heather, who was conjuring plants in the palms of her hands.

"Yes, these should work if they are mixed with some moon water." Heather said, then dug into her bag, pulling out a glass container that held a sickly yellow paste. "I made this while we were trapped on the island. Rub it on her wounds, while I go find Nikolai to get the moonwater."

Heather walked off and Hiccup started to gently rub the paste onto Astrid's skin. She bit her lip, occasionally wincing, but didn't cry out or show any other signs of pain.

Throk, captain of the guard, gently tapped Hiccup's back. "Sir, I know you're busy, but what should I have done with the prisoners?"

Hiccup stopped and looked at the Berkians, who were staring at Hiccup and Astrid, like they had all grown five heads, and snakes as hair. "Oh." he said.

"Wait...they're here?" Astrid asked, hissing as an old wound reopened.

"Long story." Hiccup quickly told Astrid. "Um, Throk, do what you want. Just no torchuring or killing them."

Throk looked a little disappointed in Hiccup's orders, but nodded and led the protesting Berkians back to the dungeon.

"How are they here?" Astrid asked Hiccup.

Hiccup sighed deeply. "Apparently Johann spilled the beans."

"Oh when I get my hands on him-" Astrid threatened, punching her fist into the palm of her hand and gritting her teeth.

"Relax!" Hiccup ordered, pressing her hands back down into her lap. "Don't reopen any more wounds. I swear one of these missions is going to kill you someday."

"It's for a good cause." Astrid denied. Hiccup shook his head, and muttered something under his breath.

***

Over the next week, Hiccup was just as busy as he had been without Mala there to take charge of her village. Between running from home to take care of Astrid and Zephyr, to helping Heather with the wounded and dying, to discussing what went wrong with the leaders of the tribe, Hiccup didn't even have time to think about the Berkians in the dungeon.

"I'm so sorry." Heather gapsed, collapsing in the nearest chair and slamming her head into the table which was located in the house of Mala, Dagur, and their son, Leerir. Gathered around that table were the leaders, Mala, Dagur, Eret, Viggo, Hiccup, and Valka. "I'm trying everything I can, growing every type of herb I can imagine. Nothing will help them. They are all still dying!"

Hiccup soothingly rubbed Heather's back, as she collapsed into a fit of uncontrollable tears, mainly from her exhaustion. "You're doing the best you can Heather. No one expects you to save an entire army."

Mala looked at a scroll that held the daily count of the dead. With each day passing, the list only grew longer. "Hiccup is right, you are exhausting your power. Take a day off, get some rest before returning to work. Maybe then you'll see a solution."