Light Up My Heart

George's PoV

"boys, come on, let's go!" I say, to Blake and Reece. "Stop taking your sweet time, we need to be there in two minutes"

"Come in George, we need to look good. What if y/n has some cute friends?" Reece says

"I'm sure she does, but this is a religious festival and i'm sure none of them are looking for love."

We're going to my girlfriend's Diwali party and these boys decided to take too long to get ready. As always.

"Oh god. George we're messing. Let's go"

We leave our London hotel room and get in the Uber to my girlfriend's house.

I sit quiet in the car.

"Mate are you ok? You've been pissed at us all morning? Everything good?"

I take a breath. "y/n and I fought last night. Our first big one. She got pissed because I couldn't get to her house last night because of traffic and I was pissed at myself because of that and i took it out on her. I know she wasn't really angry at me. She must have had a bad day but while you guys went to get food we called and shouted and shouted. We were so angry. She told me it wasn't worth coming today but i told her I would. She just hung up"

"Mate it will all be ok. Trust me." Blake says, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you sure? Because she's angry. And i want it to be ok."

"It will"

"Thanks."

She's standing outside her house in the most beautiful Indian dress, welcoming guests. Her face brightens slightly at the sight of the boys and I outside her house. I say hi but she ignores me.

She hugs Blake and Reece and i let myself in. I say hi to her parents and sit next to her brother.

"Hey mate." I say.

"George! Hey!"

We bro hug and sit down to chat.

The night is full of food and prayers and jokes.

At around ten o clock there are fireworks. Everyone goes outside but I know y/n hates the loud noises so she stays inside. I walk into the room where she's standing at the window, where she can't bear but can see.

"y/n/n...." I say. walking up behind her.

She ignores me.

"How long is this gonna go on, babe? I'm not angry at you. And i know you're not angry at me. It was dumb and petty and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

I wrap my arms around her middle but she moves around my arms to the other side of the window.

"I am angry. George, it's not just yesterday that pissed me off. It's just recently I've felt really distant from you. I just-"

"I know i'm away a lot. I know. I tour and I write in different cities and countries. And if i'm not in at home. I know. Dates spent over facetime? virtual hugs sent over text instead holding you in my arms? I hate it as much as you do. And you're looking for a romantic solution and a click of the fingers and for it all to sort out. But it won't. We both have to work at it, baby. We can't keep getting angry at this. It hurts us both more when we let it out and stop listening to each other. I promise, whenever I can, you're with me. Be it tour or writing or just me being at your or my homes. We gotta work it out"

She lets me holds her from the back as I wrap my arms around her side and place my hands on her hips and she leans back into my touch.

"I'm angry at us too. I want to work this out"

"I know. I do too."

"i just- Will it work out George?"

"Can we try?" i ask.

She turns around to face me. "I would like that"

We smile at each other and bring our lips to each other's

"Hun. The fireworks."

She turns back around and leans into my embrace.

Each firework lights hope in my heart for our relationship. Light a spark of joy and love for her.

"I love you." I whisper. "Happy Diwali, love"

"Happy Diwali baby. I love you too"