Chapter 1

And here we go~! I'm not 100% happy with some of the stuff in this but a lot of it is just context and whatever, I am happy with all the important stuff. So. It should be weekly updates from here on out

Chapter 1 theme songs: And You Don't Even Know It from Everybody's Talking About Jamie, My Hometown by Bowling For Soup and A Perfectly Good Heart by Taylor Swift

_________________________________________

~ Why would you wanna make the very first scar? ~

_________________________________________

The licensing of Z-bands for long-term departures from Seabrook was done during the zombie's last regular maintenance check before they would leave. There were two checks every year – one on, or immediately after, their birthday (within 24 hours of the time at which they were born) and another half a year later. The license would last for six months, until their next band check, when they would have to return. Short-term licenses gave them leave for up to a week, and finally, there were basic 24-hour licenses. If a zombie's license expired and they weren't back at the containment facility, and registered there, the patrol would be notified of their location.

Both Zach and Roz had gotten their licenses a couple of months ago, but Alonzo's closest maintenance check to the day he was leaving for college was only a couple of weeks earlier. He could barely contain his excitement when his Z-band was officially logged onto the system and a new icon appeared onscreen – opening the app took him to a timer counting down until his next check, along with a page where any incidents, warnings or even excessive heartbeats would be recorded, both in the band itself and in the patrol's database.

Now it felt real. Now it was real. He was one of the lucky ones. He was getting out of Seabrook. If only the clock weren't ticking so slow...

– SINCE WE BROKE UP –

Zephyr had ended up putting off college for yet another year, deciding instead to work at the same music store Al had worked at. He'd taken the job over the summer, part-time, and now with no other ideas, it looked like this was his last resort. He was still living with his parents, as was Rizzo, but at least he could contribute to paying the bills. They were OK with Rizzo not being able to pay anything while she was attending college, which Zeph found a little unfair but he had to put up with it anyway. And she was always busy with studying or seeing friends, so it wasn't like she was home often enough to need to pay for the things she wasn't using.

All summer long, Alonzo had been going on and on about college. He was finally on the path to becoming what he would consider a real musician. This was his career, his future, and he was beyond excited. Zephyr could see that better than anyone. After all, he was the one Al was always gushing to, more than Zach or his mom or anybody else. And it wasn't even just about the music.

"I'm getting out of here," he said one day, quietly, as they were cuddling on the couch in his living room, only vaguely paying attention to the TV. Whatever it was that was playing, it showed a human city, crowded with people, far more than there was in Seabrook, "I'll actually be out there. With humans. With only humans."

Zephyr tensed at that, "It's gonna be hard, garzi'ka," he held onto him tighter, "There's gonna be people out there who'll hurt you."

"I know. But there's people here who'd hurt me, too. You can't escape that," Alonzo moved his hand to rub soothing circles on Zeph's back, "I could really make it out there."

"I know you could."

Al smiled, closing his eyes and humming softly as Zephyr kissed his forehead, "You better keep me grounded," he opened his eyes again and gave him cocky grin, "Don't let it go to my head. Remind me I have you to come home to."