Chapter 9

*The Boys Are Back from HSM3 playing the background* Something in this chapter will probably come as a slight surprise if you know me *^*

I am so sleepy, I'm at a convention this weekend...

Chapter 9 theme songs: Ready To Love Again by Lady Antebellum, Happy As Happy Gets by Bowling For Soup and Mine by Taylor Swift

____________________________________

~ It must be time to move on now, without the fear of how it might end, I guess I'm ready to love again ~

____________________________________

Alonzo was kissing him.

It was all Zephyr could think to do to cling to him and savour the moment. Al could push him away and say it was a mistake at any minute. But he didn't. He didn't and Zephyr risked snaking an arm around his waist, his other hand making its way up to the back of his neck to pull him impossibly closer and deepen the kiss. When Al responded with a soft moan, gripping his shoulders like it was instinct, Zephyr completely forgot about being cautious or patient or anything else. All that mattered was Alonzo.

Zephyr eventually pulled away to catch his breath, making sure not to let Al get more than an inch or two away. Luckily, though, he didn't seem to want to. Instead, his hands moved from his shoulders, running up his neck and into his hair to tangle his fingers in Zephyr's curls. As he did, Zephyr gazed at him through half-lidded eyes.

"What made you change your mind?"

Al bit his lip and looked down, then shrugged, ".. I don't know. I just saw you on that stage and... it was like high school. I-I thought I was just happy we could be friends again but..." he lifted his head and the second they made eye contact, he kissed him again, slower this time, muttering just loud enough for him to hear as they parted, "I don't think I wanna be friends..."

"Yeah, I think I got that," Zephyr quipped and Al laughed, a little embarrassed. His laughter faded quickly, though, and Zeph gave him a curious look, gently rubbing the back of his neck with his thumb, "Are you OK?"

"It's just..." Al sighed, searching for the words, "I didn't expect it to feel so wrong."

"What? The... kiss...?" he started to loosen his grip but Al pulled him back.

"No...! Being friends. Calling you my friend. Acting like friends...!" he finally let go and stepped back, "I know that's what we promised but I can't! And you can't either, but you still tried because you thought that was what I wanted. And I thought it was, too-"

"Hey, hey..." Zephyr stopped his rambling by taking hold of his arms and pulling him back towards him, "Slow down, I get it. But what happened to all that stuff you said yesterday? About things changing when you left Seabrook?" he lowered his voice, "And not loving me the same way you used to?"

Al thought for a second. He didn't usually have to think so much about his feelings (or about anything, really) but there was a lot to unpack here, "I lied," he said, then shook his head, "Or I didn't want to admit it. Or I was just... scared of getting hurt again..."

"I'm never gonna hurt you again, Al..." Zeph softly reminded him and he nodded.

"I know," he took a breath, "I don't think I really knew what was going on with me, Zeph. I don't need to depend on you for every little thing anymore, I can have my own life and maybe I really don't love you the way I used to but it was high school. It doesn't have to be the same. Hell, maybe it shouldn't! I'm..." he looked Zephyr in the eyes, "I can actually be independent now, and I needed that. I needed to get out on my own and just grow up and learn to make my own choices. So I could actually choose you."