Chapter 8

Act 3 begins...! (Sorry this was uploaded late, I forgot to copy it over from FFN)

Chapter 8 theme songs: Back To December by Taylor Swift, Play My Music from Camp Rock, Couple Of Days by Bowling For Soup and Lonely Love Song from Spectacular!
_______________________________

~ The love was gone, I tried to convince myself but I hear that song, and I'm not doing too well ~

_______________________________

So now he was alone with Alonzo, following him as he led the way to a quieter spot, with no idea where it would go. Had talking to Zach worked? Had Trisha been telling the truth? Al looked nervous as Zephyr followed him away from the stage. Was that a good sign? Or was Zephyr making him nervous? Every question possible passed through his mind in a matter of seconds.

"OK..." the sound of Al's voice stirred him from his thoughts and he stopped, looking up to see Al had turned to face him. They were in the same corner of the park where Trisha had found Zephyr and Roz, and Al was avoiding eye contact as he struggled to find the words to say, "This is harder than I thought it would be..."

"Should I be worried?" Zephyr asked, only half-joking in an attempt to lighten the mood and relax him.

"No," Al shook his head, smiling lightly as he did, "I just really hope I'm making the right choice here."

What choice? he wanted to ask, Taking me back? but he kept his mouth shut.

"I know you didn't mean what you said before I left. It hurt, a lot, but you made it really obvious you regret it."

Zephyr nodded emphatically, "I really, really do.""I don't know if I can just... forgive and forget, y'know, but... I don't want this to end like that. I don't want it to come between us. And," he hesitated, "And I did actually kinda miss just hanging out together..."

That sounded promising, but Zephyr needed something more certain.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," Alonzo said plainly, "I mean, c'mon, I'm not gonna forget the good times 'cause of one stupid mistake," Zephyr's eyes scanned his face and he couldn't help but feel hopeful when Al softened and looked back at him, "I don't hate you, Zeph. You hurt me but... I know it hurt you, too. I was so mad at you after I left, I didn't want to listen to Zach and you were right, I probably wouldn't have talked to you if you tried to call then. I needed some time to myself, you know? But once I got settled in here, I..." he paused and by now, Zephyr was all too eager to hear what he would say next, "... Yeah, I did start to miss you."

Zephyr felt a single heartbeat as Al met his eyes and he found himself leaning closer.

"I missed you, too."Just as he was about to close his eyes, though, Al backed away.

"Whoa...!" he smiled awkwardly and Zephyr got the feeling he had done something wrong, "That's not what I meant."

While Zephyr was internally kicking himself for listening to Trisha, Alonzo was trying to push the thought of kissing him out of his mind. This was for the best.

Zephyr stepped back, "I... I-I'm sorry... Al, I just wan-"

"Zeph," Al interrupted him, "I know what you're gonna say and... don't. We're cool, alright? But," he sighed and shrugged, "That's it. That's all we are."

He at least wanted him to know.

"Al, I still-""Well, I don't," it sounded so harsh that Zephyr flinched and Al winced at his own words, "Sorry. I don't mean it like that, I just mean... Look, we spent, like, what, ten years completely inseparable. We were best friends. We were boyfriends. We thought we needed each other, but we survived being apart all this time."