Chapter 6

Time for some drama...!

Chapter 6 theme songs: Since We Broke Up by Bowling For Soup, If You Come Back To Me by Bowling For Soup, So Much Better from Legally Blonde the Musical and If You Knew from LIZZIE the Musical

______________________________________

~ You'll look up to find I've gone on to better things ~

______________________________________

There were songs he didn't show to anyone. Not even to Trisha, or Jay. And he didn't tell Zach about them, either. The two were thankfully on speaking terms again, and made sure to call each other to catch up at least every week, but Alonzo wanted to keep some things just to his college life; things like songwriting. So when he mentioned the music festival to him, he let him assume he'd be playing covers like he always had, or at least someone else's songs.

He knew exactly what Zach would say if he found out he was writing his own songs.

The secret ones were too personal. They were a way to vent and get everything out of his mind and into the real world so he could let it all go. He did, however, still play Bowling For Soup songs a lot. He wasn't going to let go of that. In fact, it was often when he was in the middle of a song that Trisha would show up to rehearse. Jay always let her in since Alonzo could barely hear anything over his own guitar and voice and she would wait a moment to watch him before she finally made her presence known. He would always jokingly accuse her of spying. There was an audition for the music festival and all their time was pretty much split between class, practicing for class and practicing for the audition.

Today, they had decided to take a break from getting ready for the audition and they were both in their respective dorms running through assignments.

E minor... C... G... D...

Al paused, his brow creased. That chord progression sounded familiar; he knew another song that began the same way. It took him a second to recall what it was, and when he did, a bittersweet satisfaction washed over him and he smiled somewhat sarcastically to himself. He tossed the book aside and lay back on his bed, half propped up against the wall, quickly finding the first chord again.

Screw practice.

"I finally boxed up all the pictures of you and all the memories that you left behind..."It was like he could hear the drumbeat kicking in and he tipped his head back. Then, in time with the rhythm in his head, he strummed.

"Since we broke up, I've been stayin' out late and hanging with all my friends! Since we broke up, no more Oprah on the TV, only ESPN!" he stood up, really getting into it now and even bouncing around the room as he sang. He didn't pay attention when he heard a knock from down the hall and Jay letting someone in, or even the footsteps coming towards his room, "And now I can sleep till three, since we broke up!"

When he imagined the backup vocals, for the first time, it wasn't Roz, Zach and Zephyr's voices he heard. This time, it was Jay, Lizzy and Trisha. And speak of the devil, when he turned around, there was Trish leaning against the open door, covering her mouth to stop herself from laughing.

"Wow," she shook her head and dropped her hand, "You are so deep in denial."

Al, startled, had jumped when he saw her, "Trish, where'd y-" he suddenly frowned, "Wait, what do you mean 'in denial'?"

Trisha shot him a knowing look, folding her arms and raising an eyebrow, "You seriously think you're over Zephyr?" That only made him roll his eyes and start to turn away.

"I am over Zephyr."

"You're singing about him."

Al shrugged, looking like he'd been found out, "It's a breakup song," then he caught himself and faced her again, suddenly defensive, "And who said I was singing about him? Maybe I just felt like playing that song!"