Perspectives Part 4

Zoi Tatopoulos - 2019

What has she done to make him so whipped and willing to do this?

I still remember when Sean first showed up to my class last year, shyly trailing behind Kaycee. At the time, I already knew about Sean - the prodigy and genius, the golden boy who can do no wrong. I also knew of Sean & Kaycee too - the "it" duo of the moment, a blazing meteorite that gets everyone talking when they step into the room.

Kaycee has been a regular in my class for years - my alien style is right up her alley. But Sean, not so much. I've seen his work, and I know that what I do is far from what he does.

He was such a trooper. He barely made it out of that first class alive; I was so sure that he wouldn't be back again, but I was grateful that he tried. It softened my heart that he went out of his way to experience something that Kaycee excels at. It shows that he is aware not only of his own limitations, but also of Kaycee's individual strengths.

Yet here they are, a year later. Sean is slowly becoming a regular fixture in my class. He's still always trailing behind Kaycee, as if he knows that this is her territory. But I must say, he's coming into his own just fine.

For someone who says he can't do bendy things, he does bendy things pretty damn well.

Sean steps into the clearing and takes the starting position. He kneels and waits for the audio track to kick in. A part of me wants to laugh at how silly he looks with his little ponytail, but once he starts moving, Sean Lew is no laughing matter.

He flows through the choreography, not a hint of effort on his face. He cartwheels forward and lands smoothly on his back. Then, without even needing his arms, he launches himself upward, landing in a half-knee position.

My choreography challenges the body into different shapes and positions, but Sean always finds a way to make it his own. Admittedly, there are still some things he can't do. But instead of overstraining himself and trying to keep up with the girls' flexibility, he makes up for it with musicality.

No one else can hit notes like Sean. He hears nuances in the music that nobody, not even me, can hear. He brings them out with interesting and subtle movements - a hard hit of the shoulders, fingers moving on the floor, a nod of the head. Small but powerful touches that bring the music to life.

Sean crouches down and does an animal-like leap, in time with the sound of a deep bark in the audio track. Then he moves into a near-perfect handstand, kicking his legs up to hit the gunshots.

He comes back down. In time with the sound of a swoosh, he hits a smooth flare, ending on his ankles.

How is he meshing b-boy moves into my choreography? And where has he been hiding these b-boy moves in the first place?

He finishes the piece with an animalistic prowl, before turning back into regular goofy Sean. He waves the camera off and scrunches his face, finally letting the effort and exhaustion show. The class breaks into applause, and he walks off, panting hard.

An impressive mind. A phenomenal showcase of athleticism.

Kaycee greets her partner with a wide smile and a high-five. She says something that makes the boy roll his eyes. Then he responds, this time making her roll her eyes. I guess he still thinks he didn't do as well as he would have wanted. I swear, he's so hard on himself.

Sean and Kaycee are a case of yin-and-yang. They both have different areas of expertise, but somehow come together in a unique, yet perfect, harmony.

Make no mistake - Sean may be the mastermind behind the cosmic phenomenon that is 'Sean and Kaycee'. But Kaycee is the stardust that powers them forward, putting purpose to his madness, order to his chaos, precision in his vision.