Serendipity

As much as my heart flutters, I'm just as afraid

Fate keeps being envious of us

I am just as afraid as you are

When you see me, when you touch me

---

Fate: [noun] an inevitable and often adverse outcome, condition, or end. Synonym - destiny, determined, kismet.

Serendipity: [noun] the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way. Synonyms - chance, accident, fluke.

When the universe was first made, everything had been decided.

From birth to death, every living creature had a path to follow - some a path of joy, others a path of misfortune, but a path all the same. It was this predetermined nature of the cosmos that keeps the balance between all things in the universe. It is what dictates the cycle of life, establishes order amongst all beings, and checks and balances that lead to the rise and fall of civilizations.

And yet, Fate is not perfect. Fate is not absolute.

There are people who fall between the cracks. Small moments overlooked. Accidents unforeseen even by Fate. And in those instances, there is Serendipity.

When the universe was first made, everything had been decided.

Fate had decided on Kaycee Rice and Gabe Deguzman.

Things had been set in motion from the moment they were born. They were next-door neighbors and attended the same school since childhood. They had the same group of friends, same hobbies, same interests. They had the same dance mentors, the same sense of humor, and the same path to follow through life.

They were destined for that picket white fence life, with three kids and a dog, and mailbox with their shared last name.

Fate had decided on Sean Lew.

Things had been set in motion from the moment he was born. He grew smart, strong, and athletic. Headstrong and defiant of his stereotypical Asian family. He shunned the expectations of his father to follow his footsteps in business, instead opting to divert his attention to sports. He was quite good at football, the best some might even argue. But for as long as he could remember, Sean simmered in his anger of being the black sheep of his household.

He was destined for greatness - a life under stadium lights, hours spent in humid locker rooms, and a body pushed to the limits.

But while Fate had painted the bigger picture, Serendipity played in the small loopholes no one paid attention to.

Like that time in kindergarten.

Gabe was absent from school that day, so Kaycee hung out alone on the swings during recess. The little girl was shy and sad that her best friend was out sick, so she accidentally hogged the swing the entire time. She barely noticed the irate little boy skulking a few feet from her, impatiently waiting for his turn. When it became clear to him that she had no intention of leaving soon, he huffed and puffed and demanded her to get off.

Frightened, she jumped off the swing mid-air, landing awkwardly. The sudden impact of her feet on the ground sent a jolt of electricity up her leg, making her knees shake and buckle. The little girl fell to the ground, catching herself on the dirt with her small hands.

Sean didn't help her up. Uncaring if she was hurt, he walked around her and claimed the empty swing seat, pushing off powerfully into the air.

When she had composed herself, Kaycee brushed the dirt off her dress and turned to glare at the rude boy who had taken her place. She didn't know that he was angry because his father scolded him that day. She didn't know that his parents had confiscated his little football and made him learn his multiplication table despite his young age.